VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Does This Mean?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I been reading cases over at the bva ws and I admit I be away for about 10 years or so just getting back in the game

but what does ''Petition for Extraordinary Relief'' Mean in a claim?

I see most cases have been denied!

• HadIt.com Elder

IOP Definitions

Author Judge. The judge responsible for drafting an order, memorandum decision, or opinion of the Court is the author judge.

Board of Judges (BOJ). The BOJ is composed of all judges serving in regular active service.

Case. A case is a matter pending or decided by the Court, based on the context of its use herein.

Central Legal Staff (CLS). The personnel responsible for conferencing with the litigating parties and preparing screening and other memoranda for the Court constitute the CLS.

Clerk. The Clerk is the Clerk of the Court.

Editors. The Editors are the Court's editors, who maintain the Court's Style Manual and review all final decisions of the Court for style and format consistency.

En Banc. All eligible and participating judges serving in regular active service, acting on a matter together, constitute the En Banc Court.

Issuance. Issuance occurs when an action of the Court is posted by the Clerk on the Court's docket.

Judge. A judge is any person appointed by the President of the United States, by and with the advice and consent of the U.S. Senate, to serve on the Court. Except where context indicates otherwise, "Judge" as u sed herein includes a judge serving in regular active service and/or a Senior Judge.

Memorandum Decision. A memorandum decision is a nonprecedential final decision of the Court, issued by a single judge.

Opinion. An opinion is a decision of the Court issued by a panel or en banc. Unless otherwise noted, an opinion is a precedential decision of the Court.

Order. An order is any direction or ruling of the Court.

Order of Precedence. The Chief Judge shall have precedence over the judges of the Court, and the other judges serving in regular active service shall have precedence based on the date of their original commissions. A judge serving in regular active service shall have precedence over a senior judge. Senior judges shall have precedence among the senior judges based on the date of their original commissions.

Panel. A panel consists of multiple judges (usually three, and always at least three), acting on a matter together.

Period of Circulation or Notification. Any period of circulation or notification does not count the first day of the period.

Presiding Judge on a Panel or Senior Judge in the Majority. The judge on a panel having the highest order of precedence is the presiding judge on the panel, and the judge having the highest order of precedence of the judges in the majority is the senior judge in the majority.

Public Office. The personnel responsible for processing cases and assigning them to judges constitute the Public Office.

Published. A decision of the Court is published electronically or hard bound, in accordance with Section VIII of this IOP.

Quorum. A majority of a multiple judge panel constitutes a quorum.

Screening Judge. The judge making the initial review of the case is the screening judge.

Senior Judge. A Senior Judge is a judge serving as a recalled retired judge pursuant to 38 U.S.C. § 7257. Note: "Senior Judge" does not refer to status as a presiding or senior judge on a panel.

Announcements

No current announcements.

Mobile Site

United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims

625 Indiana Avenue, NW, Suite 900

Washington, D.C. 20004-2950

Phone: (202) 501-5970 Fax: (202) 501-5848

• HadIt.com Elder

There are conditions that the appeal must meet in order for the Court to have jurisdiction over the petition. Like I said before, I gave the quick definition, but if the Court decides the petition doesn't qualify for the Court's consideration, the Court may deny the petition outright.

The Writ od Mandamus is usually denied after the VA is forced to take Action. They are almost always denied but if the meet parameters it works The VA must of sat on calim at least a year and a half or more. The VA will ask for extra time the Judge will tell them to do it in a short time and the VA will act and the claim will move than the Petition is denied.

• HadIt.com Elder

An old thread about Writ of Mandamus I got tired of searching for Alex Humpfreys posts about Writ of Mandamus but he was the best lawyer for Veterans that I know. He did use the threat of a Writ to make the VA move on a claim. The reason that they are all denied is cause the VA does something. Its not always good but it opens the door to other relief. The AMC was a good idea at first but after the law suit filed by Service Groups said they could not do what their mission was they changed it to being the RO for the BVA. Any thing that they did ended up being sent back to original RO.

When I used to read BVA decisions they basically would remand about 30%, deny about 50% and grant the rest, The CoVA was much tougher on claims. Remember it was not so long ago Veterans could not have a lawyer.