VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vets Choice Teasing Veteran About A New Leg

Notorious Kelly

Home warranty companies do the EXACT same thing. You buy a new or used house, and the realtor tells you, Sir congratualtions your home has a warranty.. Wow A warranty? Yes, all appliances , garage door opener, fridge, stove, water heater are all covered.

Ok the home warranty company gets its fee out of the real est ate sale, and prays you forget you even have a warranty with them, because you have a 20 yr old fridge, a 30 yr old A/C system, a stove on the fritz, ect. The home warranty co doesnt have itsw own service people, so they must contract it out. They call a local service company, and beg them to go fix the appliance for which they have sold a warranty for.. Local appliance man goes out, spends half a day working on raggedy appliance, recommends replacement to home warranty company and is denied. So he spends 2 more hours and 200.00 in parts to fix this appliance. Then an invoice is sent to the home warranty co for payment., the invoice is put in a box, and forgot abt. contractor gets the run around, and finally gets a partial payment 5 months later after threatening legal action.

DO YOU THINK THEY WILL EVER DEAL WITH THIS HOME WARRANTY COMPANY AGAIN?

So what do you think will happen when these private health care entities start pre qualifying vets for procedures? ya think they might smell a rat?

Edited by 63SIERRA

• HadIt.com Elder

Additional Program Information

•The Choice Program does not impact your existing VA health care or any other VA benefit.

•If you are satisfied with your wait time at a VA facility and wish to continue waiting for VA care, there is nothing you need to do at this time.

•Non-VA care is only covered by VA for medical needs which have been approved by your VA physician. We can happily schedule an appointment for other medical needs, but the we can only cover the cost of care related to your VA-approved health needs.

• The Veteran Choice Program is part of the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (VACAA).

Remember you have to be approved first by your VA Physician

Also I was reading something about this (choice card) only applies to Veterans that served in combat within the last 5 years??? anybody know about that?

I can't remember what publication I read that in or what..it was in something I read at the VAMC last Monday on the Second.

Edited by Buck52

Sorry to hear of your troubles bud. I have been waiting for a Year to have R Shoulder and L Knee surgery too bud. As bad as I wanted to use the Choice card I thru it away immediately. Good Luck

I edited my post for clarity- my bad.

This is not me but a vet I read about in the paper.

• Founder

From the VA Choice Website

The important thing below is it says all enrolled veterans will get the card in case in the future they may be eligible. So just because you get a Choice card in the mail doesn't mean you are eligible. Pay attention to the section on How To Get Started.

About the Choice Program

Many Veterans will now have the option to receive non-VA health care rather than waiting for a VA appointment or traveling to a VA facility.

Beginning November 5, 2014, the new Choice Program will begin to cover non-VA care for eligible Veterans enrolled in VA healthcare. Veterans are eligible if any of these situations apply to you:

• You have been told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days from your preferred date or the date medically determined by your physician
  • Your current residence is more than 40 miles from the closest VA health care facility
  • You need to travel by plane or boat to the VA medical facility closest to your home
  • You face an unusual or excessive burden in traveling to a VA medical facility based on the presence of a body of water (including moving water and still water) or a geologic formation that cannot be crossed by road

Every Veteran will receive a letter and a Choice Card in the mail with details about the program. Veterans will be eligible for the program and receive cards in three phases:

1. Veterans who may live more than 40 miles from a VA facility.
  2. Veterans who are currently waiting for an appointment longer than 30 days from their preferred date or the date determined to be medically necessary by their physician.
  3. All remaining Veterans enrolled for VA healthcare who may be eligible for the Choice Program in the future.

To set up an appointment with a non-VA provider, call the VA at 866-606-8198 and we will work with you to ensure you are approved for care in your community.

How to Get Started

To get started, you’ll need to pick a non-VA provider, gather some info and give us a call in order to set up an appointment. We will work with you to ensure you are approved for care in your community and schedule you with a local care provider of your choosing.

Steps to Getting an Appointment
  1. Decide which non-VA health care provider you would like to use.
    Search the list of approved care providers in your community.
  2. Make sure you have information on hand about any other health insurance coverage you may have.
  3. Call 1-866-606-8198 to make sure you qualify + schedule an appointment.
    When you call, we will walk you through the following steps:
    • You will be asked to enter your ZIP code, and first and last name.
    • We will check to make sure you are eligible for this program.
    • We will check which of your needs are covered by the VA.
    • You will be asked for your address and the name of your preferred non-VA provider. Unfortunately, not all providers will be covered so if your preferred provider is not available, we will recommend other providers in your area.
    • We will then work with you to schedule an appointment.

This hotline is exclusively for making sure you are eligible for the Choice Program and setting up a non-VA care appointment. If you have questions about other aspects of your VA medical care or want to learn more about enrolling in VA health services, please call 1-877-222-VETS or visit www.va.gov/health.

To Buck 52 in refer to your question "Also I was reading something about this (choice card) only applies to Veterans that served in combat within the last 5 years??? anybody know about that". I was recently offered by VA to use my choice card. I have been retired for 27 years and have never been in combat. Don't think what you read was correct.

I too got a Choice Card but I have not used it.

Three or four months ago when the big VA problem was in the news, I had an appointment with the VA Hematologist at the Miami VA. He retired a week before my appointment and the VA had an outside Dr. set up an appointment with me. They are paid Medicare rates and I have had 3 appointments with blood work and no bill.

I'm supposed to pay the copay but I have not been charged yet.

I think this is happening elsewhere too. I'm not real fond of the VA but there are some rays of hope for outside help. Don't throw the card away, yet.