VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is An " Acquired Psychiatric Disorder"?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I filed for benefits in 1978 for Anxiety, Depression and Headaches and was denied.

I refiled in 2002 and again was denied.

In 2004, I locate those long lost psychiatric records.

I received a SC. DRO didn't use any of my medical records from 1965 to 1979

Received a form 9 to be turned in within 60 days.

Same envelope, you are going to a C&P for an " Acquired Chronic Psychiatric disorder".

Form 9 is turned in before the C&P.

Va doctor More Likely than not that my anxiety began in service.

BVA calls it now " Acquired Psychiatric Disorder with Anxiety and Depression.

What is " an Acquired Psychiatric Disorder and why am I not under the plain old illness that I filed for Anxiety, Depression and Headaches.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
I filed for benefits in 1978 for Anxiety, Depression and Headaches and was denied.

I refiled in 2002 and again was denied.

In 2004, I locate those long lost psychiatric records.

I received a SC. What do you mean "SC"?

DRO didn't use any of my medical records from 1965 to 1979

Received a form 9 to be turned in within 60 days.

Same envelope, you are going to a C&P for an " Acquired Chronic Psychiatric disorder".

Form 9 is turned in before the C&P.

Va doctor More Likely than not that my anxiety began in service.

BVA calls it now " Acquired Psychiatric Disorder with Anxiety and Depression.

What is " an Acquired Psychiatric Disorder and why am I not under the plain old illness that I filed for Anxiety, Depression and Headaches.

Thanks,

Josephine

The VA does not write in "plain old illness". The VA and medical professions are supposed to use professional nomenclature. You need to worry about SERVICE-CONNECTING your mental disorder on Axis 1 (one) which includes Anxiety and Depression. Mental disorders are rated by severity from 10-100%. The VA will use the DSM IV diagnosis (codes) when it rates your illness. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings,

When I filed in 1978, I turned in all of my private medical records to the Va from 1965 to date.

I re-filled in 2002 for same anxiety, depression and headaches.

I received a statement of the case in 2004. The DRO did not use my medical records from 1965 - 1979 and denied me and sent me a form 9 in the envelope and a notice that I was going for a C&P for an Acquired Psychiatric Disorder.

The form 9 was turned in to the BVA, before my first C&P of more likely than not. Then my file was transferred to another state for the Board 5 months after the first C&P. The form 9 was at the BVA almost 2 years before I received a decision from the R.O.

I posted Dr. C. letter on line and now the decision is with the board of two that did the slanderous C&P. When they write up their new opinion for the BVA, they are to include all records.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Aquired psychiatric disorder means you were not born with it. That is the opposite of a personality disorder in terms of compensation. If the VA admits you aquired the anxiety and depression from service you are home free. Now you are just fighting over the percentage.

• HadIt.com Elder

John999,

I think that I am fighting for the two psychiatrist to agree. This time they have to read the first C&P by te Va. Psychologist and reference it. Also the letter by my military treating doctor and my complete file.

In the pension, they declared me 100% disabled due to chronic anxiety with depression, as of 1983.

I don't know how they can get around that one.

The odds are so against me, because of this perhaps?

If they say yes, it is my understanding they would have to back up and pay me 100% back to 1983 and I don't know what percentage for 1978 - 1983.

My claim is open to 1978.

Thanks,

Josephine