VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Re-File My Ptsd Claim After Filing Iu?

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

I filed my PTSD claim back on November 12th of 2014 but it never made it to e-Bennies. I went down to the VARO (a short drive) and they told me it can take up to 4 months. I filed for IU Friday and that claim is already in the system (e-Benefits). So, my question is...should I have DAV re-submit the PTSD claim (I'm sure its lost in the system) or will that delay the IU claim? I'm currently 60% for Coronary Heart Disease (boots on the ground in VN/Agent Orange presumptive). Going to the Vet Center for PTSD help.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

A quick answer would be yes, It would delay IU as another claim incoming, they would have to straighten out all your pending claims before ruling on IU. This is merely my opinion. I also would not rely on DAV or vet service reps to do the work for me. Use this site and gain the knowledge, if you don't already have it, and do the leg work yourself.

Now for IU, do you have things saying you can't work due to this?

Have you applied for SSDI yet?

PTSD, do you have a diagnosis in your VA file? Merely seeking counseling is great, but you must have a diagnosis to file otherwise it can get dragged out. I'm not saying you do not suffer from PTSD, I just want you to have all the info lined up. I would look at your VA notes on the PTSD and see what it says. We here can help decode some of it, if you are unfamiliar as to where we think you will fall.

You can sumbit stuff yourself online, using the VONAPP. At least it is the way I have done it and have not had issues. It can get muddled up using a VA rep such as the DAV. Nothing against them, just usually not in a priority to rush around, in my dealings.

Hopefully others can chime in and elaborate on anything I missed or If my info was incorrect. I am just doing my best from my own situations to pass any knowledge I have learned on to others.

I do have a diagnosis from the VA for the PTSD and have an appointment with SSA on the 12th to file for SSDI. Not looking at much money there though as I already receive regular retirement from them...starting collecting at 65 but should give me some ammo for the IU.

I've had good luck with the DAV except for the PTSD claim as long as I use the same person...the PTSD was with another. Both my tennitis and CAD were awarded within 4 months. I do all the paperwork myself (with the help of this great site) but take it to the DAV for a sanity check.

The IU claim is a bit shakey...the meds I take for CAD to remain vertical is what screws me up at work and they're well documented for the side effects.

Thanks for your help USMC!

MCarter,

No problem. Anything I can do to help as I am much younger. I wonder how SSDI works when you are already receiving your normal SSA benefits. You can file online for SSDI. I did it and wasn't a big deal. They will ask for your last 10yrs worth of employment, function forms, and various other forms. It took me about 4 months, but the 1st 3 months-I hadnt filled out the paperwork.

Now for your PTSD claim, you have a DSM 5 diagnosis from the VA, then you should be good to go. You can just apply via VONAPP. You will be scheduled for a C&P exam for the PTSD. There are questions they must ask on initial C&P. They either want to confirm the diagnosis or negate it. You can find the questions on the site. You will also want to look at the symptomatology of the various ratings, merely having it is one thing, but the severity is varying. They will want examples of everything. Social impacts and occupational impacts...they will want to know your history of treatment. They will want to know any issues with courts or police, loss of jobs or moved to different positions, nightmares, panic attacks (if any, how often), irritability, loss of interest in things you used to enjoy, relationship issues, isolation, re-experiencing of traumatic event(s), any suicidal thoughts/plans, homicidal thoughts/ plans, any self medicating.... I would write a letter addressing all your issues and go over each issue with details and how they effect your day to day life.

Sorry for the long post on the PTSD end. Use this site as your sanity check, seriously! If you can elaborate on the diagnosis information that the VA wrote, would be helpful to know where you are at preliminarily. Again the C&P can raise or lower things, but they are usually confirming or denying the previous diagnosis. As all C&P exams, remember you are being judged on everything from appearance to speech, to eye contact, to speed of speech to memory.

Thanks! As soon as I figure out the way to post my MH stuff I'll do it. As far as SSA goes (in my case)...since I started collecting regular retirement at age 65 (with my full retirement age being 66) they would adjust the benefit as if I retired at 66. Not a lot of money and, of course, need to be approved for the SSDI.

Thanks again! Never too much detail.