VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Is Va Requesting My Dfas Retirement Info

Rate this question

oldnavypa

Question

Stopped at J. Lovell FHCC today and talked to guy I gave my claim to in Sep 14, asked him if he knew anything about when I could expect decision--he said let me look, he did taking my SSN, then said OK, looks like they got your retirement stuff from DFAS. If I retired from GM or a civilian company would they be looking at this?? Will I get less if I am getting military retirement?? any feed back desired. Thanx

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

VA compensation can be offset by Military retirement pay.

For example my neighbor-20 years USAF, gets a 10% comp check from VA which is deducted from the Military retirement check amount he gets..

You could be eligible for one of these programs that regard the offset:(CRDP or CRSC)

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/comparing-crsc-and-crdp.html

http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/payment.html

Edited by Berta

they request your DFAS info, because it is law that every dollar for dollar be waived of retirement pay in leiu of VA tax free compensation. There are 2 programs that restore some of the waived retired pay.

Regular 20 yr retiree, that has less than 50% VA disability comp will waive dollar for dollar and it will NOT be restored under CDRP. If over 50% then some of the retirement DFAS pay will be restored. This law has existed since 2004.

CRSC is not automatic and must be applied for to your branch of service and it is a restoration of only combat related injuries, not just service connected. if you are in this group then you make an election each January, as CRSC is tax free. CDRP is taxable.

THanks. He elaborated more today, saying they have to audit my GOV records, he said this is good because in his words "they only do this if you are 50% or greater", says he has been doing BDD claims for years and only see's that transaction in records when personnel are at >50%. I retired after 30+ years (all Active Duty) so should be eligible to receive full retirement plus disability correct??

Edited by oldnavypa