VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Haven't Worked

Rate this question

mttib

Question

I haven't worked since by discharge from the millitary! Late 2008 I was attending college but it got overwhelming and couldn't continue, I have been focusing on my mental health and have been seeing a therapist weekly, and now in Prolonged exposure theraphy. My question is, does my lack of employment hinder me if I file for IU. I am 70% service connected since 2012. Thanks for any feedback.

mttib:

You must be unemployed to get IU. So it is good for IU. Don't wait....file for IU ASAP. You are already in treatment and I just finished "Prolonged exposure therapy" and there is nothing easy about this therapy and not everyone is able to go through it. For me we started in on telling my "stressor", story about the third visit and for me, after the second time I recounted the story it was getting harder and harder to put a coherent sentence together and when I was finished that first time I literally could not talk. I was totally numb. Over time it gets easier and you will begin to remember more details each time you tell your story. It is worth it, but it is VERY INTENSE. I wish you the best with it.

Also, I must ask are you doing all of this treatment with the V.A? If so, then that will make it easier in the sense you are getting VA treatment and it will be a matter of record. Also, have you been diagnosed officially with PTSD, MDD by the VA?

I can't emphasize enough.....file for IU as soon as you can if not immediately and be sure to include the information that you have not worked since your Military discharge. I am leaving a lot out because I don't want to overwhelm you. There are some good Veterans on this site that are much more knowledgeable than me and they will be more than happy to advise and fill in the gaps.

If you would like to talk then message me through this site and I would be more than happy to talk to you.

All the best to you and your family!! Take care!!

Greg

Edited by eagle1012004

Thank you for all the input, I guess I was asking for the reason of having an employeer as evidence of not being able to hold a job, if that makes any sense. Sorry if it doesn't hard to express myself completely at times.

Make sure you submit VA Form 21-8940 for IU. What the VA will do is go after your last employer with a VA Form 21-4192 requesting how you were released or if you quit etc. Then they will do a Social Security inquiry to see if you are collecting Social Security or was denied for it. If you are collecting SSA then they will request copies of medical records from them. If you don't have employment information and instead was self employed then they will ask for tax information. The idea of IU is that you can't maintain employment for whatever your service connected va disability is.

So if the military is your last employer it is what it is. You fit the criteria as far as percentage as far as I can see. Good Luck but this is what the process will basically happen so hang in there.