VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adaptive Housing Grant

I agree with oldman273 I have been trying to get a contractor to bid the job for more than six months now. multiple contractors have looked at the job but turn it down and hit the road when the VA sends them the 28 page contractor certification form. They explain that they are not going to fill out a 28 page form not knowing if they will even get the job.

I had the plans drawn up at the cost of $1,000 and we are talking in excess of $100,000 worth of work. I need a new bathroom and laundry room built on to my existing home along with ramps and doorway widening. No small job. I am in the Nashville Tn. area if anyone knows of a willing contractor in the area.

The VA has a list of pre-Approved VA Contractors located in your geographical area. They're the one's you need to contact.

The only problem that (3) Vet's, I recommended to apply for the Grant ran into, was the $6500.00 (1) time limit of the HISA Grant. All the estimates for their Bathroom upgrades, came in well over that amount.

If you have the SMC's that qualify for (1) of the other (2) larger Home Improvement Grants, the $6500 limit isn't a problem.

I told my guys to "Cherry Pick" what they absolutely needed, so as to remain under the $6500 figure. They did have the option to pay the rest out of their own pockets, all declined. The VA Contractors weren't happy with their decisions, obviously. The work was completed in a timely fashion and the Vet's were happy with the improvements, Showers, bathtubs and toilet replacements.

Semper Fi

• 3 years later...

Hi my name is Ron Stephens, I have applied for the housing grant about four times an have been denied. I don’t understand. They issued me a motorized wheelchair an denied my automobile grant. I have Multiple Sclerosis I really don’t no what else to do. Do anyone have any suggestions. I would greatly appreciated it. Thank You.

Edited by Ron1965
Correct E mail