VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sharing Of Medical Information Through Va Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (Vler)

Rate this question

ArNG11

Question

This could be good and bad at the same time. The sharing of records between agencies should cut down on the processing time for records request, and the claims process however, I wonder, how the discovery process and verification of received information will go. Hmm you would think this is a good thing, that way, for those who have VA and private docs information on your conditions and treatments can be looked at by all your treating health care professionals. My thing is how can a Veterans confirm information was shared in their claims process. And whether there is accountability on agencies just using partial information to their benefit. Hmm.

The kicker for now is, you can only use this program if your private doc is part of it, my doc unfortunately is not. I see this as a good thing but also wonder if the VA will look at the pertinent info.

Man it would be great. Even with portable hard drives and usb drives it is a pain to share the medical information. Some of my docs VA and private have outright refused to input the records other than by paper. Come on folks this isn't the dark ages. Information should not be so difficult to share, especially between health professionals that can severely alter the outcome of your health.

Response from IRIS on the error I got trying to share records:

"If you have technical difficulties signing up to participate in VLER please call: 1-800-983-0937
Due to current high call volume, please consider using one of the alternate methods listed below to participate in sharing your health records.

Mail:
1. Download and print the VA authorization form (VA Form 10-0485).
2. Complete the form and mail it to your local VAMC Release of Information Office.

In Person:
1. Visit the Release of Information (ROI) Office at your local VAMC.
2. Ask for and complete the VA authorization form (VA Form 10-0485).
3. Give the form to a member of the ROI office staff.

For questions, call the toll-free VLER Health Information line at 1-877-771-VLER (8537), Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m."

SO- in other words: Do it like you'da done it 50 years ago! :biggrin:

• HadIt.com Elder

Its fine to share between Dr's VA & Private but so many Dr's have a difference of opinion & that could mean problems!

Its fine to share between Dr's VA & Private but so many Dr's have a difference of opinion & that could mean problems!

Well yeah that is an inherent problem, however, to avoid overdosing or unnecessary procedures it would be in a Veterans best interest for their health care providers to know everything regarding their patient's mental and physical health. If you've been honest you really shouldn't have any issues for the VA docs to have that information. Besides IMO I would trust the advise of the doc that's sees me on a regular basis and knows about all my health issues. That way they can make a more informed decision on your course of care. In my case that is my private doc. My VA primary doc s too busy, and too overwhelmed to read my records and has been of hardly any help managing my health problems, even when I give her office the records and history of medications. For that reason I fired her and asked for a different doc. My advice is just to be smart. Be honest. Use the system in a way that it takes care of you and your family's health needs. Oh and one more important detail. Sharing of the medical information maintains safety and continuity of care. JMHO