VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Two Lower Back Discectomys And Back Fusion

Rate this question

KansasNavy

Question

Just retired about 8 months ago and submitted my claims to VA about 8 months ago. I had two lower back discectomy's where they removed parts of 3 lower back discs, and then had to have a back fusion on the same area about 5 years later. Condition only getting worse not better. Anyone have any idea what percent this might be? I know its all a guessing game, but thought someone might have same type of condition. it has caused all kinds of havoc with legs and nerves in my legs.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

That is diagnostic code 5241 (Spinal Fusion)

Rated based on your Range of motion at the c and p exam.

The Nerves are to be rated as secondary

Max rating for ROM is 60 percent. If your entire spine is fused it is 100 percent.

Nerve ratings are the kicker. Have you had NCS oir EMG studies?

JBasser.

I will soon be SC with my bad back, and really without your C&P exam notes it is hard to say. Again with advice given above, your back can be rated high. Again just speculation unless you post the notes. Welcome aboard, God Bless and good luck!!!

That is diagnostic code 5241 (Spinal Fusion)

Rated based on your Range of motion at the c and p exam.

The Nerves are to be rated as secondary

Max rating for ROM is 60 percent. If your entire spine is fused it is 100 percent.

Nerve ratings are the kicker. Have you had NCS oir EMG studies?

JBasser.

i have had multiple emg's done on my back. and they have all indicated chronic radiculopathy. how are my chances to get service connected for that? even my most recent primary care doc diagnosed me with that just based on some physical exams she gave me. emg's were done years ago.

I was rated at 10% for each leg with only the mri's as evidence. Never had an emg but it was well documented that i had shooting leg pains. They denied me at first only to say i was never diagnosed with radiculopathy. So i told my VA doc and she wrote the diagnosis and then i was awarded the condition. So as long as you have evidence and a diagnosis you should be good to go.

Eric

I was rated at 10% for each leg with only the mri's as evidence. Never had an emg but it was well documented that i had shooting leg pains. They denied me at first only to say i was never diagnosed with radiculopathy. So i told my VA doc and she wrote the diagnosis and then i was awarded the condition. So as long as you have evidence and a diagnosis you should be good to go.

Eric

thanks eric. :-)