VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When Is Too Many Meds Too Much?

Rate this question

Guest jstacy

Question

When is taking too many meds too much.

I just looked in the Meicine Cabinet and I have several.

I take Metropolol, Nifedipine, lisonipril, clonodine and Imdur for Htn and Heart.

Gemfibrozil and Simivastatin for Chloesterol

Indomethacin and Neurontin for Spine with Hydrocodone 10 as back up for severe problems

Fiorcet and Darvocett for Migraines

No wonder my stomach is a mess. Can a person file secondary conditins to medicine taken?

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

I cannot take Propoxipine (Darvocet), Loratidaine (alergy), and hydrocodone. This combination took me to Urgent Care four times over the last year. My lungs became hyper-inflated. I had to find this out from another Project 112/SHAD Vet who saved my life, because I just didn't know and the VA wasn't going to tell me.

Guest rickb54

I have exactly 19 different medications prescribed to me for my asthma/COPD, and Back and leg pain, as well as the daily aspirn and zocor.

If I took everything that is prescribed to me I would be dead.

I almost died once because a doctor prescribed me something without first looking at my records and finding out that I was alergic to it.

I refuse to take any more pain medication untill I hurt so bad that I am in tears, beside what they prescribed is like candy I've taken it for so long.

I hate taking medication especially when it does nothing but both my stomach......

• HadIt.com Elder

I take 15 prescribed medications from the VA. Like others have mentioned I take the minimum. Having so many doctors prescribing meds is dangerous. I take meds from 4 doctors.

Don

You are right Don- these medications can interact with each other---

It pays to know what you are taking as to what you shouldn't be taking with it.

The VA only prescribed HBP meds and sudafed to my husband for over 5 years-

The Sudafed not only raised his BP (and I discovered after he died that he had no sinus condition whatsoever) but also the HBP meds were a dosage so low that it was totally inappropriate for him.

Part of their wrongful death award was based on prescribing these two counterproductive meds that hastened his death.

There is considerable info these days on the net as to what side affects meds can cause and what they should not be taken with.

Taking more than "ONE" anti-depressant at a time, may cause a toxic state. It sure made me sick.

If you can tough it through without pain meds, than your better off not taking them. On the other hand. If you constantly loose sleep or wake up screeming, from the feeling of a hot ice pick suddenly stuck in your eye, than the lack of controling the pain may drive you nuts after a while.

I havn't been treated for "Chronic Pain Syndrome" for some yrs now. I used to recieve a pain medication that lasted 12 hrs & medication for breakthrough pain. They removed the longlasting med & left me with the break through pain medication, that lasts 3 hrs. Atleast once a yr, they completely forget to sign for a months supply. Every once in a while, they space signing for it to be sent, for 2 weeks or so. I'm hearing other Vets in my area are experiencing the same thing.

I found a recent medical entry that states, "patient refuses longlasting pain medication".

Where do they come up with this crap?

According to the VA, I've been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, Brain Injury, Brain Hemorage, Fibromyalgia, cervical, thorasic & lumbar stenosis with herniated discs.

They don't mind overdosing me on antidepressants, but refuse to treat the cause of much of the depression, PAIN.

When is taking too many meds too much.

I just looked in the Meicine Cabinet and I have several.

I take Metropolol, Nifedipine, lisonipril, clonodine and Imdur for Htn and Heart.

Gemfibrozil and Simivastatin for Chloesterol

Indomethacin and Neurontin for Spine with Hydrocodone 10 as back up for severe problems

Fiorcet and Darvocett for Migraines

No wonder my stomach is a mess. Can a person file secondary conditins to medicine taken?

I am helping my sister-in - law with her Son's and on his last discharge from the VA hospital they have written down that he has HTN & IBS can you tell me what this actually is? He also takes around 16-19 Meds and he is have a hard time getting any VA Compensation. After reading some of his VA SMR I am sure that we can connect all of his problems with Mitary Service.