VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Received, Should I Submit 21-4138?

Rate this question

SoldierMedic395

Question

Here's my SitRep. I filed in 2013 after a foiled suicide attempt (NY traffic saved me, go figure) and being assessed with PTSD and MDD at a VAMC. I never got a C&P exam and was denied exactly a year to the date of my initial filing. I got an attorney to assist my appeal but I got impatient and e-mailed Sec. Bob. He got the ball rolling and my case was sent back to the VARO. In the process I found that my attorney did not file a NOD and intended to wait until June 2015. I'm out of work and desperate so I filed a NOD myself. I just got the acknowledgement along with the Statement in Support Of Claim form 21-4138. My question is should I submit the form and just what should I say? I'm guessing that I should describe my stressors, service in country (ODS '91, Northern KSA) and how it has effected me afterwards but I'd like some feedback from those who have been there before.

You haven't dismissed your attorney yet? That could present a problem and should be addressed. Have you discussed any of this with your attorney?

What type NOD did you choose, BVA or DRO Review with or without a hearing? Have you been seeing any VA Mental Health Clinicians, what's their DX?

As for your NOD, not uncommon to take in excess of 2+ yrs.

SempermFi

Gastone

I kept the attorney because I think I need all the help I can get. I haven't contacted him yet but the letter says that he has been informed. I did get treatment at the MHC and I have a DX for MDD, not so sure about PTSD although I was screened and told I had severe symptoms. I really don't trust the whole system anymore so I haven't been to the MHC for a few months now. My feeling is to request DRO review but I don't know if I can handle a hearing. All I really want is a C&P exam so they can confirm what they have already assessed me for. I really see why people give up and I haven't been on this ride very long. I'm not quitting though. I just want to make sure I don't screw myself during the process.