VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A&a For Spouse Allowance Established But No Increase, Why?

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Hello Fellow veterans,

It's been such a long time since I posted here. I come to you with a question. I sent in a claim for A&A for my spouse. I received a letter today that states:

Your current benefit payment will continue unchanged.

What We Decided

Aid & Attendance for Spouse - Effective Sept. 18, 2014

~ Entitlement to additional benefits based on the need for aid & attendance is established.

~ Entitlement to aid and attendance allowance for "My Spouse Name" is established effective Sept. 18, 2014 - the date you filed your claim.

So, I'm confused, will I receive additional monetary benefits or not and is there any additional benefits for a spouse that has been approved for aid and attendance?

Thank you,

Cherie33

6 answers to this question

Ok, so for those who are interested, I called the VA today and found out that, I will indeed receive the increase, the letter was saying that my current disability compensation would not change, however I will receive the allowance for my spouse who has been approved for aid and attendance, which is considered a SMC (Special monthly compensation)...

Cherie33

GREAT!!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife was turned down for A&A. She has limited mobility has to use a walker or rollator. Needs help getting in and out of bed , getting dressed, I cook and clean for her, help her bathe and wonder just what it takes to get the VA to do the right thing. I wanted the money for her to be able to get her own check and to spend on stuff she wants.

I plan to appeal and have a hearing so that the dumb ass RO can have a piece of my mind.

Hey Pete53, I'm so sorry to hear that. When I put in the claim for A&A for my hubby, I really wasn't sure what exactly they were looking for. I figured that since, he has had a liver transplant, now suffering from kidney failure and has dialysis done at home 6 days a week, has severe heart disease, malnutrition because of a really bad colon infection, and is blind in one eye and almost blind in the other, that I may have a small chance of being awarded A&A for him. I really didn't know what to think.

But I'm sure once you submit your appeal they will see that your wife truly needs the A&A... Stay positive..

Cherie33

• HadIt.com Elder

Cherrie:

I look at it as A no interest savings account. Maybe my wife can do something she really wants to do when she gets her back pay. I am sorry for your husbands afflictions. It was not easy for me to get A&A either. Instead of helping they hate to see us get anything.

Pete53, I totally agree. It is so difficult to receive anything that we deserve. I mean, really! We served our country and did what we were suppose to do, then, while in the care of the U.S. Government, we got sick injured and/or aggravated.. They are suppose to make sure that we and our families are taken care of..

Cherie33