VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Now What Do You Think About Bob? Say It Aint So?

jbasser

I don't think it should be much of a big deal. He did have Ranger training.

I think the Sec was just trying to establish a quick rapport with the SF Army veteran.

A known principle of psychology depends often on trying to find something in common ( even if it isn't quite the same thing)

with someone , right away, just to open the door, to see what they need help with.

Fox just ran the video clip of this incident.

In my opinion, the fact that this Army Special Ops vet was Homeless should be the big deal.

I am more concerned about the firing figures....maybe the gatekeepers are getting to him with the wrong info...just remember, they are the same gate keepers that withheld stuff from Shinseki.

None of them have been fired as far as I know.

I just feel we have to give Sec McDonald a chance.He immediately corrected his error on the Special Ops stuff.

I never heard from him at all after 2 emails to him.... I think the stuff I emailed him about ( not a claims issue at all) he gave to someone else to look into and they probably swept it under the rug.I sent the info to the H VAC as well.

I have mentioned this same issue here many many times over the years....because it is one of the main reasons why VA gets away with so much malpractice
but no one here was interested so I no longer am either. Then again the OGC is looking into it via my FOIAs on that issue.

But that might not even be productive.

Dr. Bash knows exactly what I am talking about.regarding the VA malpractice issuesWe discussed it on one of our radio shows.and probably by phone as well more than once.

This is my opinion on the new Secretary ,as a civilian (widow of 2 disabled vets and mother of a veteran)

so it might not mean anything to you veterans. And that's OK.

Edited by Berta (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• HadIt.com Elder

I still think he's better than what we've had running the VA! To me he was trying to make the veteran feel a kinship w/him. He didn't say he was in "The Special Forces" but that he was in special forces. I believe, at that time period, both the Special Forces, Navy Seals and Rangers were newly formed units. Many officers and NCO's had been thru Ranger school but I don't believe there were any active Ranger units, since WW-II, until VN. He was a paratrooper, which were, in effect, a special forces "type" unit, in that they were above and beyond the regular Army troops. The same could be said about submariners. I certainly don't ID myself as special forces, even though I was a paratrooper.

One of the guys, in my platoon, that I served with, was later "attached" to The Special Forces, at FT Bragg, upon his return to CONUS (1966/67). He later became a state rep, in Wisconsin and had ID'd himself as a former member of The Special Forces, which he was not. His lie was eventually discovered and he is no longer a state rep, there.

I have a guy, who used to be in my PTSD group, that claims he was in the 173rd Airborne Brigade, when he was actually in the 1/50th Mechanized Infantry, which was "attached" to the 173rd. He even went so far as to get a 173rd tattoo, w/airborne wings on his arm, even though he was neither airborne or assigned to the 173rd.

In the Army, attached personnel are authorized to wear the unit patch, of the unit they were attached to, while in that unit but aren't authorized to wear it as a combat patch, on their right shoulder.

I want to add that many of the homeless, that ID themselves as vets, often aren't, and with further dialog w/them can be discovered as phony's. Many use the vet status as a rouse to get more donations or services, by wearing military clothing.

jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Im gonna give the man a "hall pass" on this one because he promptly came clean, and because I think he is helping Vets.

Most of us have had an "oopsie" moment where we go, "Gee, I can not believe I said that..what was I thinking?"

I read where the AVERAGE American lies about 3 times a day. Who among us has not said, "Im Fine", when, in fact we have a headache, a stomach ache, and we just found out our wife ran off with the mailman, and we also just found out our 16 year old daughter is pregnant by the 60 year old neighborhood child molester whom we despise.

We say that because we dont want to give our entire medical history when someone says, "How are you?" We just say "fine" as we do not really want to tell anyone how we really are. What we should say is the rude, but more accurate, "none of your business". Some Vets even get a habit of responding "fine" so much, when they go to the C and P exam, they mistakingly utter that claim killing "fine", when the Vet is EVERYTHING but "fine".

I know for sure, I have told people I was "fine" when I was so sick I did not think I would make it to tommorrow.

By quickly coming clean, and admitting it, this raises my opinion of him, not lowering it. It means he wants to do what's right and be honest. I question the guy who claims he "always" tells the truth...I am probably among the most honest people I have ever met, but I have told lies, too, and yes I regret them.

I have, in the past, tried to hold people accountable for their words, and, sometimes even the same day, have asked forgiveness for words that I spoke which were inaccurate or worse. I should have "at least" as high of standard for myself, as I do for others. Sometimes, I actually have too high of standards for my self, and then I have low self esteem when I can not even meet my own standards.

Edited by broncovet (see edit history)
  • Like 4

His words may effect his credibility with some veterans but I believe most veterans will judge the man based on his actions to help veterans. So far I have been impressed with his actions. JMO.

• Like 1

• HadIt.com Elder

Two lies in 3 weeks doesn't stack up anyone's integrity.

We need a Secretary that will clamp down on the VA to fix its problems once and for all.

Not a polished turd.

J

Another politician. He is only telling the truth when he is sleeping and drinking water

reminds me of the former chief of naval operations who took his own life, reportedly because he presented false information about a medal he didn't earn!

• Like 1

I never trusted Bob when he started crying like a baby when asked a question about veterans. Looked too staged, He may seem like a good guy, but that's what politicians do. Pull at your heart strings.. If you can lie about little things you can can about big things .

Edited by marine0816 (see edit history)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

Maybe the gatekeepers intentionally gave Bob inaccurate numbers to make him appear incompetent in the eyes of the public?

well my opinion

if he told a homeless veteran he was in special forces (101 1st Airborne) maybe he didn't mean he actually was special forces or meant it that way, although he had the training but that don't necessarily mean he was a special forces soldier.

If you had Navy Seal training that does not qualify you to be a Navy Seal, But in just a regular conversation its eazy to make that mistake and say you was a Navy Seal

I don't think his integrity is in question here unless this gets blown out of its context as to what Bob meant it to be, but the man apologized and recognized his mistake.

not sure what he lied about other than this???

From what the man has did for the Veterans and the VA Healthcare system so for, I can understand this mistake and put it to rest...who are we to judge? the claims alone he has had a large effect on that aspect and that's just a small part of his Job..to me Bob treats us veterans with respect and that means a lot to this old vet.

JMO.

Buck!

Edited by Buck52 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree with broncovet!

I Believe a big percentage of vets walk around with a cap on there head that says Ex Green Beret or special forces ranger, purple heart recipient ect,,ect,, and maybe was just a cook or whatever...to me that's not telling a lie its showing respect for his fellow soldier!

My Brother in-Law was killed in combat action in Nam during the Tet -offensive in 68 he was a Marine a very proud Marine, unfortunately at age 23 he made the virtual wall (panel w50 line 18) PFC William Lloyd Foley.

I sometimes wear a Marine USMC sweat shirt or a Marine Cap in his honor , I was not in the marines but served proudly in the US Army & did 18 months in Nam Now does that make me a liar?

If someone says to you they never told a lie they just did!

Buck!

Edited by Buck52 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Im sure he likely wasnt trying to mislead,, he was in 82ND Airborne , 82 is a special division, it is a rapid deployment division , ready to be boots on the ground almost anywhere on the planet in 36 hours. So in trying to connect with the homeless vet, I think he was just trying to get a rapport of brotherhood established to gain trust.

this is my personal opinion..

Lets keep something in mind, people who have been terminated from the VA, by the hand of the new SEC, they are going to try and dig up any dirt they can to try and smear his name, lets not fall for that BS.

• Like 2

If I has a Ranger tab, and was in 82nd, I would be ok with saying I was part of a special unit. there are several special forces, delta force, ranger battalions, hush units that you only know abt if your in one, , ect.

I recall during NCO academy one of our instructors was a Ranger that jumped into Grenada and got shot in the leg.

Edited by 63SIERRA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

yeah 63SIERRA I Agree.

I mention the 101st Airborne, that was just an example I didn't know what his unit /division he actually served with.

Buck!

I also believe at this point & time with all the VA problems its a mess for all of us veterans (obviously) but why miss-trust a man for a gentle mistake like this one? its a simple mistake and does not hurt anyone just because he was trying to make a good rapport with a homeless veteran and make him feel respected.

The new secretary has a big mess on his shoulders and I believe he is the right man for this Job ,give him time and your support and he will ''clamp down on the VA to fix its problems once and for all''

we can't place our trust in (''what if's'') & none of us is perfect!

Buck!

• Like 1

I am not bothered by it because he did have ranger training and I believe it was a slip and I believe his intentions were good. I am sitting in a warm home thanks to the VA.

I pray the homeless vet Bob spoke with is warm with food in his belly tonight.

This is where Bob can help, I know first hand how difficult the va system is and I pray to God tonight that this brings awareness to the plight of our veteran's.

I know of men that wanted in the military and were refused because the military takes the best and that is around 5% of population.

I never thought I could be beat and I had that mentality when I walked through the door. That's what they wanted and they took and took. There is nothing in this world like being young bold and standing for the red white and blue. Your only young once God bless all of you. I am in good company. Bob is one of us god bless Bob and give him the strength and knowledge to be our shepherd.

• Like 1