VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Ptsd Or Just Pissed ?

paulcolrain

Question

12 answers to this question

PtSD is a specific illness diagnosed by the American Psychological Association along with many other illnesses. My dad has 3 Bronze Stars from Vietnam and bad memories but he does not have PTSD.

PTSD is a specific reaction some people have to trauma and that reaction varies between individuals based on a variety of factors from genetics, childhood, and effective early intervention.

some are resilient some aren't. Some get severe PTSD from a single car accident, some like my father don't get PTSD after months in war. Not all PTSD is from war some is from childhood abuse, some from sexual assault, some from being a victim of violent crime.

I see the post this AM was edited and is now gone.

Just to add ,PTSD is as old as time.

Julius Caesar (about 30 years AD, looked for signs of battle trauma in his men,personally counseling them if needed.

Patton however had no concern at all for "battle fatigue" and wanted these soldiers booted out of his Army.

Chesty Puller's son Lewis , horrifically disabled by the Vietnam War, fought his PTSD throughout his career at VA Central as a VA lawyer, until he killed himself.....like thousands of other vets ,since then ,have done.

PTSD is much much more than just being 'pissed '

The crazy one here.

I read your post but needed time to get my head on straight, so here is my comment.

Unfortunately, the bottom line of it is called classification or to put someone in a category. Society has always and will always classify or put in category everything. Either to monitor, control or to better understand something or someone. For whatever reasons we like labels. It is very common for a person to feel off, different, misunderstood, irritated, stressed, moody, or down right out pissed after going through some type of trauma and feel like no one understands them. Not because people don't understand PTSD but it seems like they don't want to understand or believe a person could have PTSD.

VA is very famous for telling a veteran nothing is wrong with them. For years I would hurt all over, have no energy, get sick and have to be hospitalized and VA would tell me it was all in my head. I thought I was going to die. I was more than angry, more like in rage. You can only take it one day at a time and hopefully things will get a little better or at least to a point that you can deal with them.

Sorry for the rant but that is my story.

• Like 1

Pete I think your right on the money. It takes time and not so much to cure the disease/condition but learning to live with it and trying to be as close to normal as possible. Things set you off at least they do me. Cues, reminders, smells, sounds, and let's not for get the constant reminder of everything in having to deal with the VA in trying to get treated and applying for benefits. It freaking sucks. Oh I almost forgot the guilt. Survivors guilt and so on.

Sad and funny at the same time. But this video keeps it real and still makes me smile. "You want the truth" ... "You can't handle the truth" is what comes to mind.

There is a difference for me and I can get pissed but the PTSD takes and makes me the big green monster. I wonder today if maybe the Hulk was treated at the VA for PTSD his problems would cease to exist. Haha.

I hate drama and stupid people who believe they are smarter because they have a BA or PHD tag on themselves. Man I got off track. It is what it is.

That is what smart people think ptsd is. Your gonna turn into the big green meanie.

In all actuality they fear fear. Just like me

• Like 1

i got another question... BERGDAL CASE...... lets for a moment say that bergdahl left his post while suffering from PTSD. lets just say that his military time created a disease while in service that would later be diagnosed as PTSD. then when he left his post suffering from this ,, is he still now to be put on the shit list from his brothers at arms ? leaving his post was horrible and dishonorable but what if he did this because he was suffering of PTSD ? not to mention that after his leaving post he then became a pow

if his superiors did not recognize the signs and symptoms of maybe he had PTSD and didnt treat him then shouldnt they the ones who were responsible for him be blamed for him leaving his post and then the loss of life that was encountered from trying to get him back ?

Paul we still know right from wrong. Desertion is unacceptable imo. PTSD can lead to poor decision making skills. I have paid the consciences for my poor decisions. Paul if for instance I was an alcoholic and killed someone on the road. Alcoholism is a desease should I be pardoned because of my ailment? I say no. We are responsible for our actions. In a moment of rage I kill an American hero should I be let go because of PTSD? I say no. There is a sick bay. If the kitchen is too hot. You can go to sick bay if your showing signs of heat exhaustion. Life sucks but as an American solider taking a long walk into enemy territory is a poor decision that has consequence. We all know this simple fact. Time to pay up looks like to me. If he is innocent then he should have no worries. But imo they would not have charged him unless they knew for certain they had him.