VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Pysch Dr.

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

Hi,

My husband saw a new shrink last week and he wasn't in there 5 minutes. This was his first app. with this dr. and the dr. asked if he thought his meds were working and said okay and said he would see him in 3 months. He didn't ask him about any problems that he might have or anything. Is this normal? When he was seeing a NP, she would spend as much time as he needed and he really liked her. He's not to sure about this new guy.

Thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Is this to be his new therapist or just the RX man ?

If you have a local vet center he can also go there.

He can talk with his PCP about this and make any changes necessary if this new person is not going to provide adequate care.

JMHO,

carlie

Carlie,

Thanks for your response. He goes to the VA clinic for this, and they had a NP who was contract. The VA decided to make this a permanant position, so they hired a Phychiatrist and did away with the NP. So I guess this will be his new dr. The NP he felt comfortable with, and she did talk to him and spent as much time as he needed. This new dr. was just in and out and that was it. He may have to see if they will change him to another facility.

sbrewer

• HadIt.com Elder

I get a 15 minute appointment with the shrink (Dr. Lowery) at the Tampa VAMC about every 3 months. We both know the system is not equipped to really treat me, so he tells jokes and I laugh and I get a script and out the door I got til next time. It is a farce and we both know it. The system for mental health treatment here in Florida is just a joke and a scandal via the VA. They don't do psychotherapy. It is just drugs and down the road. Anyone who really needs treatment has to buy it on the open market. That is what I did for the last 35 years via a psychologist. To actually expect competent treatment for a mental health concern at the VA is just a fantasy. The VA's mental health facility is overwhelmed with patients and mostly old guys and wet behind the ears doctors.

Hi,

Here's another twist in this situation....

He went and picked up his records from that visit and the dr. wrote that they talked about things that they didn't even talk about. He called to find out when his next app. was with this dr. and was told he no longer worked at the VA. That sounds like a good thing. Anyway, is there something you can do to have your records changed to reflect that this dr. did not talk about the things he claimed they talked about or is it just too bad for the patient?

Thanks,

sbrewer