VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• 2023-foeum-banner.jpg

• red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

Ask Your VA Claims QuestionThe LatestVeterans Crisis Line

red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

• Get Your HadIt.com Merch! Check them out here2022-11-16_06-22-29.png

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Hippa Law True Or False

OK I finally got the MRI I had been begging for going on 3 years. I later get a letter from my dr stating no additional action needed and the results of the MRI were interpreted as contradictory to what 3 previous doctors had reported. I messaged my primary and requested to speak with the Radiologist who actually read the MRI. A phone number was provided via my health e vet and I called the doctors office and was transfered to the actual doctor whom read the MRI, or indicated that he read the MRI.

I told the dr I wanted to discuss the findings he had concluded abt MY Mri. I was immediately told that he could NOT discuss MY Mri results with me, due to HIPPA laws. This doesnt sound right,

They are MY results, I am the veteran, why cant the doctor who read my MRI discuss his findings>

I made a complaint to the chief of staff and await a call back so we shall see what they do.

Permitted Uses and Disclosures

Permitted Uses and Disclosures. A covered entity is permitted, but not required, to use and disclose protected health information, without an individual’s authorization, for the following purposes or situations: (1) To the Individual (unless required for access or accounting of disclosures); (2) Treatment, Payment, and Health Care Operations; (3) Opportunity to Agree or Object; (4) Incident to an otherwise permitted use and disclosure; (5) Public Interest and Benefit Activities; and (6) Limited Data Set for the purposes of research, public health or health care operations.18 Covered entities may rely on professional ethics and best judgments in deciding which of these permissive uses and disclosures to make.

(1) To the Individual. A covered entity may disclose protected health information to the individual who is the subject of the information.

(2) Treatment, Payment, Health Care Operations. A covered entity may use and disclose protected health information for its own treatment, payment, and health care operations activities.19 A covered entity also may disclose protected health information for the treatment activities of any health care provider, the payment activities of another covered entity and of any health care provider, or the health care operations of another covered entity involving either quality or competency assurance activities or fraud and abuse detection and compliance activities, if both covered entities have or had a relationship with the individual and the protected health information pertains to the relationship. See additional guidance on Treatment, Payment, & Health Care Operations.

• Like 1

I would think that they can give me MY OWN INFORMATION ???

""""(1) To the Individual. A covered entity may disclose protected health information to the individual who is the subject of the information.""""""

I would take a copy of the Hippa laws to your Dr and tell who ever said ''they can't discuss this information with you'' tell them ''with all due respect your incorrect'' they may not but the Dr can or the one that read your MRI here are the Hippa laws in writing. you might go see the Hospital Admin first!

That's what I's do

JMO

Buck!

• Like 3

@ 63Sierra- IMO, the doc was trying to protect himself from a potential HIPA violation. The law requires that a positive ID must be made to divulge patient information. The days of getting that kind of information over the phone are gone due to these rules. These days you can be in violation for discussing a case with no names mentioned but there is still enough info for a listener to figure out who they are talking about. People have been successfully sued for discussing patient info over a phone call. The findings must be discussed face to face or he may send you the findings (most likely registered mail). The fact is that anyone can call in and say it's you and request confidential information.

• Like 1

I agree with SoldierMedic. I called a private hospital to request records and was told I had to come to the records office at the hospital, show a photo ID and sign a release form before they would provide the records to me.

You might have to discuss the MRI with the radiologist in person and show identification.

Good luck to you.

GP

he asked my name and last 4, which I gave him, and he told me I had to go talk to my primary.

Well my primary is the one who sent me a letter saying no further treatment is needed, but they are basing that on an incorrect MRI reading. I would gladly meet face to face with the Radioligist, but wasant given that option.

I have 3 previous documentations that contradict what this doctor is saying, so I want to make them update everything so I can get proper care and comp.

Edited by 63SIERRA (see edit history)

when I had surgery I met my surgeon, when I had diet, I met my dietician, when I had cancer, I met my cancerologist, what is the big problem with meeting Radiologist? they are like the secret agents of the VAMC. Nobody ever sees them. like ninjas.

The nurses and doctors in my primary team have spoken with me by phone after verifying my name , date of birth and last 4 ??

So have reps from the RO / so I guess its a we will call you, dont call us situation

Maybe so, Sierra, but just because someone on the phone has your name, DOB, and last four, it doesn't prove that person is actually you. That's why so many offices require waivers and in person with photo ID proof that the person is, in fact, who they say they are.

I'm in HR, and I will not discuss anything over the phone concerning a person's application, employment status, or direct deposit payroll information specific to that person. That's for their protection as well as my company's, so I don't open us up to being sued for any variety of reasons stemming from possible identity theft. That includes instances when I generate the contact. In situations like that, we meet in person or I get written signed permission with photo ID.

A disgruntled ex-spouse (or soon to be ex-spouse) is a perfect example of someone who would have that information and who could give it to someone else to pose as the veteran over the phone.

• Like 1

• HadIt.com Elder

This is the "out" "A covered entity is permitted, but not required"

Actually, the VA has often been quite difficult to deal with concerning obtaining various records.

I've had to go to a VAMC to get records that my local VA Clinic generated, ad did not want to give me a copy.

(Copies cost time and money)

Maybe so, Sierra, but just because someone on the phone has your name, DOB, and last four, it doesn't prove that person is actually you. That's why so many offices require waivers and in person with photo ID proof that the person is, in fact, who they say they are.

I'm in HR, and I will not discuss anything over the phone concerning a person's application, employment status, or direct deposit payroll information specific to that person. That's for their protection as well as my company's, so I don't open us up to being sued for any variety of reasons stemming from possible identity theft. That includes instances when I generate the contact. In situations like that, we meet in person or I get written signed permission with photo ID.

A disgruntled ex-spouse (or soon to be ex-spouse) is a perfect example of someone who would have that information and who could give it to someone else to pose as the veteran over the phone.

good points, thanks

Thats kind of funny though. VA has done FUBAR'ed trying to protect Veteran's information. In my case they have done it twice that I know of. It is a pain, however, these days I think it is necessary. I don't mind going down to the VA to get my records but that is because the VA in OKC is not far from me. I can see how it would be a problem if you lived too far away or were housebound. The eVet website is a good alternative though. The only thing that I don't like is that if you want copy of films or say mRi's that you really have to visit the location in person. But I don't see how your VA clinic could not have access to your records. I'd press the issue for the simple fact that they are YOUR records. Anyways just my two cents. Good luck Sierra.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thats kind of funny though. VA has done FUBAR'ed trying to protect Veteran's information. In my case they have done it twice that I know of. It is a pain, however, these days I think it is necessary. I don't mind going down to the VA to get my records but that is because the VA in OKC is not far from me. I can see how it would be a problem if you lived too far away or were housebound. The eVet website is a good alternative though. The only thing that I don't like is that if you want copy of films or say mRi's that you really have to visit the location in person. But I don't see how your VA clinic could not have access to your records. I'd press the issue for the simple fact that they are YOUR records. Anyways just my two cents. Good luck Sierra.

"But I don't see how your VA clinic could not have access to your records"

Treatment records and test results, yes. Other records beyond basic information no.