VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Exam Today...interesting.

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

Today I went and did my Gulf War Exam. I provided everything that was relevant to the case in an additional package just in case my records did not get digitized into the system? So, when I went in to the exam room the doctor had a package that consisted of no more than 3 documents? Also, I had studied the questionnaire in depth just to know how to respond to the questions based upon the relevant data in my SMRs. But, during the exam I had a quick cursory exam, and only a handful of questions had been asked while he typed and typed for some time? It appeared that the examiner may have already made up his mind based upon those 3 pages that he was already provided? Anyway, I provided my own package with over 100 key documents to make my case with very specific data? I provided a record of about 120 Blood Pressure Readings over my army career which shows that my significant hypertension started and when I had a kidney issue in Kuwait and after my hospitalization there? Also, in an accusatory tone said that my blood pressure was very high today and wanted to know if I had skipped my BP Meds? Frankly, I was very offended by that and said why would I risk a stroke or heart attack when my records already showed a detailed pattern of HBP while taking meds? So, we'll see how it goes because these were supposed to be my last C & P Exams? However, the jury is still out on that and the outcome of this as well. Mostly, I've been treated with respect but some of the attitudes are disappointing when I did my duty without question and with complete loyalty.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rootbeer,

Personally I don't like examiners like that that would offend me too, you can go get a copy of the exam if it was at your VAMC?

See what he said? and if he stated you had copies of your medical history? if he/she did that will help.

Good Luck

Buck!

Root beer, sorry to hear about your experience. Did you have the GW exam in Seattle or American Lake? I'm trying to get a GW exam and AL would be better for me. If you have a premier account in MyhealtheVet you should be able to see the examimers notes as early as next week.

Scotter04:

It was in Oregon and may be the examiner will came around, I'll check my healthy vet to see? I almost did not put in the contention in the first place because I've heard that so many vets have been rejected for GW Issues but I can show a direct correlation during my time in the Middle East? I know I should not takes things personal but sometimes it's just too much that as Vets we are not respected? For me it's partly that we were exposed to bad environmental hazards at the time but no one wanted to address it for fear it would affect our missions? But as an eExample, I have renal cysts that showed up on both of my kidneys that were the same ones I had a problem with in the Middle East. Also, a whole group of us got really sick only to find that he camp water system had gross amounts of Ecoli poisoning for months and there was speculation which is probably true that the foreign contractor cooks used the same water for our food preparation? Suddenly one day at the camp bulletin board a memo was published on behalf of the camp commander (and I provided a copy to the examiner) that stated for several months that there was a gross contamination of Ecoli poisoning in the water supply and that everyone should now take precautions to protect themselves due to the environmental hazards on soldiers health? It went over the dangers of what Ecoli poisoning can cause longterm and permanent damage to a body? It's the same camp in which over 2000 pounds of depleted uranium caught fire in 1991 and there was little talk of the incident to troops later assigned there? I'm not looking for trouble but if hazards where there then we should have been alerted before we deployed there at least.

Edited by rootbeer22

Do you know the professional credentials of the examiner? If not, you may want to determine what those are. Anyone in that capacity should realize that the situation is stressful and can elicit higher BP ratings than normal, even when meds have been taken to control it. Heck, my BP goes up when I have a regular checkup at my GP's office, and I don't suffer from hypertension. Idiotic question, not to mention insulting. By all means, get a copy of the exam results, but know the background of the person who examined you, in case you need to challenge the exam's validity.