VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Get A Civilian Mental Health Doctor

Rate this question

mike_smith5223

Question

I really need your advice! I'm rated 100% service connected for Chronic Severe PTSD, and Major Depressive Disorder with a future Exam in 2019. I'm currently seeing a Mental Health Doctor at the VA. This guy is a negative piece of crap. I'm willing to pay out of my pocket to see someone outside of VA. Would it hurt me in the long run if i see a civilian mental health Doctor? I don't think i can deal with this guy too much longer. Please help!!

I agree with Mike.

In my opinion the VA is the Best place for PTSD help.

But that does not mean every vet gets the best VA shrink.

"If I go to a civilian psych for treatment do you think VA would recognize it?

Yes but be careful of that too....make sure they are well trained in PTSD, otherwise if VA tries to pull something on the 100% rating,in 2019 (which I really dont expect) the non VA shrink could combat that with a strong IMO.,backed up by their credentials in treating PTSD.

Edited by Berta

All of the above! With VA or Non VA mental Health professionals don't just accept the one assigned to you, if the fit isn't right and your not comfortable, it's time for a change. As previously mentioned just be very careful in your choice. My VA PTSD experience says to 1st check with possibly other PTSD Vets that you have contact with and get their input regarding the VA PTSD Clinicians they see. Have you ever been in PTSD Group Therapy or had a VA PTSD Social Worker, great source for referral information, both VA and Private. If you are absolutely certain that you want or need to go private, verify to the enth degree your Non VA Dr's PTSD credentials and experience.

There has been quite a bit of information recently in the News regarding the over use of Medication in the treatment of PTSD by the VA Drs. What has your experience been? I opted for PTSD Group (3 yrs VA Social Worker) and other than the VA C&P Pscychiatrist, haven't seen a DR.

Semper Fi

Gastone