VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Active Duty Starting Med Board Process

Rate this question

jgalogic

Question

Hi,

I am AF AD always been healthy no issues on my 7 years career. My PCM (on base) referred me to a cardiologist because of a small heart murmur. The echo results showed moderated Pulmonary hypertension and the Pulmonary function test showed moderated airway obstruction. My PCM is waiting on the Pulmonary Dr. final eval to submit the med board package. I really don't want to be separated. I saw people with asthma not being separated, but I never hear anything about Pulmonary Hypertension before and so far, didn't read anything good about it. I dont know if asthma and PH are treated the same way for the med board and VA. What will happen If I get diagnosed with PH? I would be separated? If I get separated, any chance of any disability rating and most important medical care for the condition? How difficult will be relate it with the job?

I know many of you were here before going thru the same process. Any input ,advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

5 answers to this question

I'm sorry your health issues may cut short the career you love. If you want to stay in, be sure to make it clear that it is your desire.

Also ensure your separation physical paperwork documents all issues if you go that route; I know you said you've had none but a review of your records would be good.

Good luck! :smile:

We have a MEB PEB link here too, with good info.

Is there a PEBLO available at your base ?

PEBLO- PEB liaison officer

Sorry if 'base' is wrong word....Mr daughter (USAF INTEL 7 years) used to correct me all the time. I speak USMC better than the other lingos.

I too was Medically Retired from the Navy after almost 10 years active. I did not want to be MEB/PEB out either, but was forced due to multiple Mental and Physical issues. The process is not as scary as you think. Just continue to work in your MOS, and give it your all. The military will walk you thru the process and do all of the leg work. It can take up to a year, so you are not going anywhere anytime soon bud. Yes if your branch decides to let you out, then either you will be Medically Retired at 30% or higher with retirement benefits, or if they decide you are 20% or less disabled then you will be granted a Medical Discharge with a Severance check based on rank and how long you were in. The kicker is if that if you have to get out, then you need to fight for the Medical Retirement, as you get all the benefits of a traditional retiree. If you get a medical discharge then it will be almost, as if you were never in the military bud. Remember that if the MEB is approved, then the VA will send a Rep to the base clinic to meet you. The Rep will go over your medical records and decide what conditions to file for the VA. Then the VA will send you to the local clinic or hospital to have Compensation and Pension exams for those conditions, like MRIs, X rays, or see a DR etc. By the time you get Retired or Discharged you will know what you are getting from your Military and the VA. We are here for you, and you can always ask me anything. I probably have more experience with this subject as I was just retired in 2013, by the way I was only 30 then. Good luck and God Bless!!!

I agree get copies of everything, I was meb/peb boarded out of the Air Force for sleep apnea actually they let me finish the 6months or so left on my enlistment, honorable discharged me but did not allow me to reenlist by a reenlistment code of kbk and was never given a rating from the Air Force and knew noting about the VA. My liaison did mention I could apply to the VA but maybe would get a zero well I would have receive 50% right off the bat. No one will stick up for your need only you will so don't be afraid to. Start reading now so you know what to expect from the VA there is a 38 CFR forum hear on hadit.