VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Dr Will Not Fill Out Dbq Form

Rate this question

jet187

Question

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me what's the deal with VA doctors that refuses fill out DBQ forms?

My dad primarily uses the VA for his treatment.

He had a follow up appt. yesterday and his VA Pulmonary doc told him he doesn't fill out the DBQ form for Respiratory conditions, he said the VSO does. Really?
The DBQ form has to be filled out by a physician and signed by one. It contains medical questions related to his medical condition that only a doctor can fill out.

Its very obvious a VSO is not a doctor or could fill out the DBQ form!!

I am trying to help my dad with his asbestosis claim and he has all the tests/scans/evidence done and ready to submit a claim, but I live in another state and can't be with him at his visits and he is 75 and doesn't know what to say or ask, he just tells me what the doc says.

The VA Pulmonary doc is his only treating physician for his asbestosis.

The doc says yes he has asbestosis, my dad asked him if he could make a note in his record if he would state in his medical opinion if it was more than likely a result of his military service in the Navy, he said no he wouldn't do that because the raters at the Regional would make that determination. Really?

Its obvious the doctor punted him or kicked the can down the road.

What can I do? Is there a directive for VA docs on filling it out?

Are VA doctors permitted to fill out DBQs if they are the only treating physician the patient has?

Or is the DBQs only for civilian doctors to fill out?

What's the point of these DBQs if the docs refuse to fill them out or give their patients bad info?

What should I do?

Any feedback is appreciated.

VA Docs do not have to fill them out, unless the RO requires them too. Usually a DBQ is filled out during the C&P exam by that Doc. I have had over 30 C&Ps in the last 2 years, and only 1 of my regular Docs has filled out 1 DBQ for Migraines/TBI. Just like VA Docs don't like to fill out SSDI forms either. Sorry for your issues bud. Good luck and God Bless!!!

Thanks Navy04!

Would the VA accept a DBQ form filled out by a civilian doc?

My dad would have to get a Civilian Pulmonary doc on the outside first.

Hang in there Jet187.

I would think a DBQ might be a veterans best tool when trying to get service connection.

The physician doesn't have to lie, just state the truth regarding the veterans current physical condition.

No doctor is gonna risk his license by falsifying information.

The DBQ probably could be done in a day with accompanying treatment/doctor notes.

I don't think you should go that route. Just submit the claim and if you have the evidence, then you will be able to show the C&P examiner the evidence, and should be able to fill out DBQ or Examine your father accurately. Most of my exams the Docs have filled out the DBQs accurately at the C&P exam. I don't believe in appeals, I just keep opening the Denied Conditions and all but 2 thus far have been granted down the road. Evidence is Evidence is Evidence, if presently well. The VA and the C&P Docs can not deny what is in front of them. Only you can decide what is best. Wish your father the best. My wife and I lost our parents as Teenagers, so you are both very lucky to Love each other

jet187,

DBQs can be completed by VA or civilian doctors. Some VA and civilian doctors will complete them and some are just lazy and don't want to bother with them. Since the doctor is not cooperating or trying to help your Dad, he has nothing to lose by complaining and requesting another VA pulmonary doctor. You could send an email on his behalf to VA Undersecretary Hickey or VA Secretary McDonald at the following:

Allison.Hckey@va.gov

or

Robert.A.McDonald@va.gov

Explain your Dad's situation and request another pulmonary doctor for your Dad. Also, tell them why you want another doctor. They may want to contact your Dad directly so make sure he is aware of what you are doing and prepared to respond to phone calls.

Undersecretary Hickey has been good about responding to requests for help so hopefully she will help your Dad.

If your Dad does not get the help he needs from the VA, he may need to go to a civilian pulmonary doctor and get an IMO (Independent Medical Opinion) to support his claim. IMOs should be given more consideration than a DBQ since the IMOs are more detailed, provide a specific diagnosis, offer a nexus between the medical condition claimed and military service and are supported by reasonable medical rationale. There us an IMO section on this website.

I hope things work out for your Dad. He is lucky to have you working on his behalf.

Good luck to you and your Dad.

GP

Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated.

Somebody at the VAMC gave my dad the DBQ and he asked me about it, but I know nothing about them.

So I looked the form up and I read all 7 pages and the sections that are relevant to his claim and guessed he had to take it with him

to his follow up appt. yesterday and have the Pulmonary doc fill it out then submit it with his claim.

I guess that is not how DBQs work from what I am reading.

Just so I am clear, DBQs are used for C&P exams only? Not for your treating VA physicians to fill out?