VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

C&p Ptsd Re-Reval Coming Soon

bob barker

Question

The news of this C&P comes with joy and fear. I have been waiting a LOOOONG time for this appointment but I understand its going to suck, a lot. It already sucks and now I have to drive on a Army base which will bring back memories that have left my mind. Any words of wisdom from anyone who just went through this?

17 answers to this question

As I wrote you earlier bud, you will be fine. Go in there be honest, and remember not to talk about anything free lance. Let the Doc lead you along, and good luck!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Just remember they evaluate everything, eye contact, the way you dress, the way you walk, your demeanor, etc.. When I was checked for my back and knee, the examiner tried to trick me, by saying the stairs out the back door were shorter. They watch you from the moment you show-up until even as you leave the exam. Be honest but don't offer any extra info, unless it is important to your claim. If it's for a mental health exam, you may want to bring some notes, so you remember everything. I had to, as I frequently forget things, when I feel I'm under pressure.

pr

• Like 3

Just remember they evaluate everything, eye contact, the way you dress, the way you walk, your demeanor, etc.. When I was checked for my back and knee, the examiner tried to trick me, by saying the stairs out the back door were shorter. They watch you from the moment you show-up until even as you leave the exam. Be honest but don't offer any extra info, unless it is important to your claim. If it's for a mental health exam, you may want to bring some notes, so you remember everything. I had to, as I frequently forget things, when I feel I'm under pressure.

pr

Remembering things is a huge problem for me. Example: I'll have a flashback of a forgotten event. The next day I wont remember what the flashback was about nor do I want to remember. I guess I'll have to start writing stuff down. Thanks

• Like 1

Yes,be honest,very important.You will be fine,good luck.

Some C&P Docs wont accept a damn thing even if you put in in their face, others will kindly take them and make a copy. I have had over 30 C&Ps and only about a third of them were honest, or even cared about what I had to say. I am not saying that all are bad, just make sure and get your point across even if they don't want to listen. Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally, I've found, they don't/won't take the notes. The notes are only for your use, to remind you, but you can submit them, if you want. Also, if they ask you "how are you doing," when you first see the examiner, don't say fine or okay, as, I've found, if you say that, they seem to go deaf after that. Be sure to voice any problems you are having!!! Their report will state whether or not you were dressed appropriately, whether or not you have problems w/the activities of daily living(brush your teeth, bathe, pay your bills, do your shopping, etc.). If they ask about suicidal or homicidal ideation, it's okay to say "yes," w/o fear of being dragged away and locked up. If you have a plan, on how you'd do it, tell them. Most PTSD vets do have a plan for suicide. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about running into an oncoming logging truck or tractor trailer. Fortunately, it passes before I take action! Besides, I really don't want the other driver to have to live w/the accident. These days, I want to live as long as possible, so they pay for all the BS they've put me thru!!! At one point, I sold all my guns just to be sure it wouldn't be that easy.

Also, remember, they rate you on how you are today/now, not how bad the incidents were, that caused your problems. You may want to review some of the exam results, that members have posted, here, on hadit.com, so you can see what the examiners have written. Sometimes no response is worse than what you may have said. For years, I said "I'm fine," when asked, which I've since discovered was a big mistake.

On re-exams they generally go with whatever the previous examiner stated, unless it's a claim for increase.

jmo

pr

• Like 1

Some C&P Docs wont accept a damn thing even if you put in in their face, others will kindly take them and make a copy. I have had over 30 C&Ps and only about a third of them were honest, or even cared about what I had to say. I am not saying that all are bad, just make sure and get your point across even if they don't want to listen. Good luck

Sadly, during my husband's C&P for PTSD, he was so nervous and scared about not getting everything across to the examiner. So, he kept going over and over in his mind the important things to tell him. As a result, he tried so hard to tell him everything that the examiner decided he was "over reporting" and gave a very biased and bad report, resulting in denial. Seems sometimes you can't win whether you don't tell them enough or tell them too much. When PTSD messes with the mind, it's hard to walk that fine line of "just right."

Good luck.

Kate

Philip and Kate you are both so right. I have seen Vets get denied PTSD all because they wore a nice outfit to the exam, and said to the Doc " I am fine, how are you" and that kind of stuff.

Well glad to hear you made it thru the exam bud. My claim has been at Prep for Decision for the last month, so maybe we will both have some good news soon. Good luck

• Like 1

My claim was closed last month and I havent heard a word. Ebenefits is not showing me much. Called the 1800 number yesterday and scheduled a call back for today. The VA called and hung up instantly............never surprises me.

Bob,

Did you check "VA letters" in your Ebenefits account? Usually, the letters are updated once the claim is closed.

Good luck.

GP

hang in there bud, I finally called the 1-800 the other day, and it has been over 2 since I called and I know why, they never answer the DAM*** phone. Good luck

I called the 1-800 # and got some answers after being disconnected twice! There was a double claim for ptsd and the newer on was closed b/c there is a older one in appeal status. I have a lawyer representing me so I'm not sure what thats all about. My ebenefits account shows no active claims so its not being updated. The 1-800 # told my they had all my additional evidence that has been sent to them so I'll just wait for the brown envelope since my Ebennys is kaput.