VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Having A Partial Hyst. In April. What Will This Change?

Rate this question

AFMedic09

Question

Hello! I am 34 years old and currently 40% disabled due to various chronic conditions. I am 20% disabled for a prolapsed bladder. I was seen in the VA hospital today and told I require a hysterectomy. (Will probably leave ovaries) to correct a prolapsed uterus and to reconstruct my vaginal walls due to incontinence, pain, bleeding, and inability to have a bowel movement. My question is will this "corrective" surgery cause more issues and if so what are they? Also, how will this affect my disability rating? I have 40% for migraines, 20% for stress incontinence which I had surgery for a bladder sling in 2003 to "correct", but still having issues. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by AFMedic09

5 answers to this question

Your VA math is correct PR.

Hello. I am not sure of all of my ratings (Requested a new letter of the break down today). I am 20% for pelvic prolapse, 30% for migraines. I have other ratings which are zero %. My current total is 40%. I am scheduled to have a total hysterectomy to correct the pelvic organ prolapse in April. My question is how will this affect my rating and how do I claim the hysterectomy after the surgery? Meaning, will I have to file a new claim for the hysterectomy, will it change my disability at all, or will it be an increase to the pelvic claim? Actually what I am rated for is a pelvic sling. My cystocele/rectocele were rated at 0%, but that is basically what the hysterectomy will be done to (hopefully) correct. I'm sorry for not being clear before. I just found where I had typed out my ratings here on hadit.com. :) Thank you so much for your time.

Edited by AFMedic09

AFMedic09,

Google 38 CFR part 4.116 and this will give you some idea of possible changes in your rating percentages after your surgery. The VA uses 38 CFR part 4 to determine disability rating percentages for different medical conditions.

Hopefully some of the female Hadit members will give you their responses to your questions and opinions as to what you will need to do in regards to possible changes in your disability rating percentages after your surgery.

Good luck with your surgery.

GP

Personally, even though it presents a different set of problem, I would tell them to take the ovaries also.

When I was 28 I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. T he 1st surgery took my cervix and 1 ovary...the 2nd left so I wouldn't start meno pause.

Well, I did start menopause, plus 2 yrs later I was back in for an abdominal resection because the lone ovary have adhered to the abdominal wall. It is very common for the left behind ovaries to cause major problems such as adhesions, so thinl long and hard and read read read.

Good Luck...