VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will I Need To File A New Claim?

Rate this question

AFMedic09

Question

I posted this in another forum, but maybe that wasn't the best place to ask the question. So here goes:

I am scheduled to have a total hysterectomy to correct the pelvic organ prolapse in April. I am currently 20% disabled for TVT bladder sling and they attached a cystocele/rectocele 0% rating to that. I also have 30%for migraines, and other conditions which are rated at 0%. (Non-GYN) for a total rating of 40%.

My question is how will the hysterectomy affect my rating and how do I claim the hysterectomy after the surgery? The hysterectomy is to correct the cystocele and rectoceles and pelvic organ prolapse. It will not be removing or changing the bladder sling in any way. Will I have to file a new claim for the hysterectomy, will it change my disability at all, or will it be an increase to the pelvic claim since they had connected the cystocele/rectocele to the bladder sling? I'm sorry if this is unclear. I am confused and don't know if I should ask for an increase, file a claim after the hysterectomy, or if I should expect a decrease in my disability after the hysterectomy? Thank you so much for your time.

Edited by AFMedic09

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I moved shortly after being rated and have misplaced my ratings letter. (I requested a new one be sent to me today, but that will take a few days). I found my ratings on this site from when I posted about receiving my letter. My question is that when I was rated the rectocele and cystocele were still pending further development. Since that time I received a letter stating I was given a 0% rating, and that it was connected to my bladder sling rating of 20%. Seeing that the hysterectomy is to correct the cystocele and rectocele, does that mean they will no longer be tied to the bladder sling (Since nothing is changing with the sling, and this is still an issue I have to live with regardless of the hysterectomy) and now the hysterectomy (cystocele/rectocele) become a separate rating?

If I was rated 20% for the bladder sling with cystocele/rectocele pending then a decision rated them at 0% does the bladder sling remain 20% and the cystocele/rectocele (hopefully resolved by hysterectomy) now become a claim for hysterectomy?

cystocele/rectocele are 7623 @ 38 CFR 4.116 I am rated 0% - will this change to 7618 - Uterus removal and be separate from the bladder prolapse for which I am rated 20%? (My confusion is due to the fact that they tied the 0% cystocele/rectocele rating to the TVT sling (7625) which had already been decided at 20%)

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you,

Edited by AFMedic09

When you get a copy of the decision,. can you scan and attach it here (cover C file # name, address, prior to scanning)

We need to read the Reasons and Bases part and also the evidence list , because the actual words of the VA hold the key to

what you could do next ,if this award letter is wrong.

Also you could search the BVA web site using the diagnostic codes and/or the conditions in the BVA search area to see how VA handles claims like this.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

Just got off the The phone with a Veterans representative who said reopen the claim after surgery and submit hysterectomy as secondary condition (caused by already service connectes disabilities) and it will be service connected