VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is Next?

Rate this topic

Any thoughts on what increase if anything I should go to next? I have my C & P next week and currently I am rated SMC M+k. I asked for an increase after my 1st bout of uti's that I have been having and was told to start catherizing myself daily, due to urinary retention. Self catherization did not work and I ended up with another uti at which time I was hospitalized and then had to start using a foley catheter. That was okay for about 2 months. Now I have been with a suprapubic catheter since.

I have been hospitalized 1 more time with uti and also been treated 3 other times as out-patient for uti's.

My original dx is neurogenic bladder 20%. Just wanted any thoughts?

Just wanted to clarify that dx, of neurogenic bladder is the one part I am requesting an increase for.

Edited by jefmil50

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went back to your Feb post:

"I have a C & P exam coming up March 12th originally for an increase due to left upper extremity weakness due to MS. In the interim of waiting for this claim to be reviewed I had numerous bouts of uti's, urinary retention and a foley catheter inserted. Which was later changed to a suprapubic catheter. I have had the suprapubic for 5 months.

Do I need to submit this information about my bladder before my c&p exam for a rating increase in order for it to be included? Or wait til I go to my exam and present the new additional medical problem? I am kind of worried this will be overlooked and then I will need to submit a NOD or a new claim. Under the C.F.R the diagnostic code 7516 says for a superpubic catheter rating is 100%. I just do not want to go to my c&p exam and this just gets overlooked, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks?"

What specifically is the C & P for?

I doubt very much the C & P examiner will opine on anything not formally claimed yet bbut, by all means bring your records with you as to the bladder conditioon as the examiner might find it secondary to the MS.

I dont expect too muc from C & P doctors because they are only supposed to handle the claimed disability the C & P is for.

The examiner mioght be very familar with MS, but possibly not with bladder related issues.

You deserve the highest SMC you should get so it is a good idea to get ratings for anything potentially service connectable and anything that might put you into a higher SMC rating.

You did very good so far. That is a high SMC award that you have now.
You also stated in Feb 2015 here
"Under the C.F.R the diagnostic code 7516 says for a superpubic catheter rating is 100%. I just do not want to go to my c&p exam and this just gets overlooked, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks?"

By all means bring it up but have you formally filed this as secondry to the MS?

Is it,in fact ,caused by the MS?

If the upper weakness claim succeeds (it should from what I see here), then some of that retro might be needed for an IMO from Dr. Bash, if the rating is wrong on that or if the bladder condition is secondary to the MS..

Dr Bash, as you probably know, ( our fabulous blog radio show guest from time to time) has MS himself.

Question.....I think maybe I saw hwre today in an older post that someone suggested they give you a bilateral rating for the upper extrmeity weakness....is that really the most favorable way to go???

My husband has multiple extremity weaknesses ,upper and lower, with separate ratings due to a Sec 1151 stroke and I never claimed either PN or PAD which Dr Bash diagnosed him with.They are working on a SMC CUE claim now on some other stuff regarding the SMC award I got in 2012 (which was wrong)

My point is......

As I recall (dont have that rating sheet in front of me, they were al different rating values on my husband's rating sheet ), so would combining them be best?

Or would bilateral be best if they are rated at the same rating???

Others will chime in on that one.....I am not sure.

I go back on my records and I see where I submitted a DBQ from my neurologist and another form from my pcp both relating to my bladder issue so hopefully that is in with the claim. I guess I will find out next week. Thanks alot Berta you have been a tremendous help.

• 3 weeks later...