VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Check In Person!

Rate this question

paul554

Question

I just want to urge anyone claiming a CUE to please check with your regional office in person if possible.

I submitted a cue several months ago with no updates. It failed to appear on ebenefits, which apparently is the norm for a cue claim, and my IRIS inquiries often came back confused thinking I must be referring to a pending claim for increase. Even after talking on the phone to a representative it was obvious that they were confused as to what was going on.

So, being proactive, I went it the regional office to inquire. They then pulled up my cue and showed me that it was stamped received and reviewed. The only problem is that no one had reviewed it! This took two clicks of a mouse to fix and ensure that the file was sent for review. I shudder to think how long this would have taken without personal intervention. So if you see no updates on your claim I encoursge you to go inquire in person. It appears to be the most effective method and it helps to speed the process up.

I can relate to that.

I filed a SMC CUE in Fall 2012, and never received a siongle piece of correspondence from the VA on it.

They dont send VCAA letter on CUEs but they do send...'we are working on your claim' letters to acknowledge their receipt.

I got that letter 2 weeks ago because I emailed Alison Hickey ,the UnderSecretary.

Then there were multiple emails to and from the VARO director and me, and also a VA VSO who said as soon as they got my signed 5103 response they would adjudicate that claim.

I had also a 1151 claim too, filed same time, with no response. Both IRIS and 800# Pegy told me at some point that there was no 1151 claim filed. They found it a few mobnths later.

yesterday I used ebenefits for the first time.

A decision was made and is in the mail .( the VA man told me it would go fast and confirmed all of my evidence received by phone and said it was already reviewed and was going right to a rater as soon as he got off the phone..)

For me my RO Buffalo is a day trip and the weather here in NY has been awful for travel.

I emailed Ms Hickey, the VA UnderSecretary and she agreed I had a valid concern.

I am glad you had good results going directly to the RO.

just to add, this was what I call a GCY CUE (within the appeal period) that grew out of a CUE error in a CUE award I got in 2012.

Those CUEs had been filed ,one in 2003 and one iin 2004 and the VA was still farting around with them when I filed my 2010 Nehmer IHD claim, and in 2010 they were still at my VARO.

I wrote to the Nehmer VARO that, although my CUEs had been set for BVA transfer they were still at my VARO and contingent on a proper IHD award.

They , the Nehmer Phila VARO awarded in a mere 3 weeks in 2012 as part of my AO IHD death award..

I also had to call another CUE on their Dec 2011 AO decision...I raised lots of hell on that and VACO called me and they fixed that F -up fast. The proper award for the AO claim and the CUE (except for another CUE in it- my pending issue they decided per ebenefits) came the first week of Jan 2012.

A potential CUE, is like a 'mind' ...it is a terrible thing to waste.

They make more errors then we could ever know.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Good info Paul554

This is good to know thanks for sharing that with us!

Thanks Buddy!

Buck!