VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help Finding A Lawyer Before My Tdrl Meeting

Rate this question

outdoorsmanforlife

Question

Hi, I would like some help finding a lawyer to look over my case. I am rated at the 80% but paid 100% for unemployability. I had a brain injury while I was in the Navy. Four years later the injury has gotten much better. I would like to get back in the workforce. But I'm afraid to leave the safety net of unemployability. I'm willing to pay a good lawyer to look over my file and give me my options. Thanks for reading.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The brain is an amazing thing. It has 'plasticity', which means that it can rewire itself, to a certain extent to overcome some issues.

You might be able to accomplish this without involving a lawyer. I am no expert, nor have I tried to help anyone come out of TDUI, but I don't think they will just take your word for it. You might need to get your physician to state you can work and then work with the VA.

I know there is a special program that Social Security has that helps folks in your situation do just that. I would be surprised if the VA did not have a similar program. :smile:

But before you do anything, definitely make some calls and get the scoop. Most importantly, make sure you have a job lined up. It would stink if you came out of TDIU status and then did not have a job, leaving you without money you need to live on. Find out how much the job might pay, explore your tax situation, and determine if it might be more beneficial to volunteer instead of actually coming out of TDIU.

TDIU does allow you to make a little bit of money as long as it does not go over their threshold, I believe "piddling" would be the term. I know you have to file earnings statements every year. If you make too much, the VA definitely let you know that you don't qualify for TDIU any longer.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck.

don't think you can work on tdiu but you maybe could get your rating up

to 100% than you could work. SSDI allows up to about $12,000 per year

maybe a little more

"I had a brain injury while I was in the Navy. Four years later the injury has gotten much better."

What is your rating for the ;brain injury'

and who said it got better....the VA????

Vync is certainly correct that the brain can often sort of heal itself.....parts of the brain can take over damaged different parts of the brain in some cases.

My concern is , is there actual medical evidence that this condition has gotten better and if so, better enough for VA to propose a reduction in any comp you get for it?

They cannot alter or reverse white matter lose, as well as cerebral infarctions.

If you tell us more, we can advise you better.

What legal options do you mean?

Maybe if would be better if you got an Independent Neurologist to go over your medical records, to determine if your disabilities

might improve

I would like someone to sit down and look at my medical records with me and discuss my options. I want to get back into the workforce and be a successful member of society. Not working for 4 years has made me feel like a worthless piece of crap. I'm faced with a delema in one hand I could be a bum and collect $3900 or work and get $1400 (80% va). I'd like to get a job or start a landscaping buisness but I'm afraid of failing. I'm willing and ready to pay a Lawer or speak to a vet rep. Please give me some suggestions.