VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva Decision Not Followed By Ro

Rate this question

tk3000

Question

Hello Folks,

Not a long time ago, I started a thread in this forum regarding a recent BVA favorable retropayment decision, but this decision subsquent awarding letter relayed by the Detroit Regional Office missed other important BVA adjudications, deliberations, and decisions regarding other claims pertaining and presented on the appeal: Detroit Regional Office simply missed or ignored the BVA decisions regarding the GERD and "Left Ankle" rating increases

In order to address the clear-cut fact that some of the BVA decisions were amiss on the RO awarding letter, I sent few messages and to the Detroit Regional Office which simply went on without any response for over two months, which then let me in a limbo of administrative disgrace and chronic incompetence purported by an entity whose goal is to dodge past cases that reflect an abbherration of incompetence on its part concomitant with the practice of deliberately ignoring any case that is beyond the bare trivial.

Altogether, the mainstay herein is that the RO observed and obliged with the BVA deliberation and decision to grant me retropayment for the IU Early Effective Date appeal, but then simply ignored the BVA's deliberation and decision to grant me increases for my GERD and “Left Ankle” conditions: GERD from 10% to 30%, “Left Ankle” from 10% to 20%. Thus the RO did not observe, did not oblige, and did not comply with the BVA's clear-cut deliberation and decisio to increase ones rating for the GERD and the "Left Ankle" conditions under appeal. One should note that the BVA is a higher adjudicating entity (and a real court of law), thus the RO has to comply with its final decision and not tamper with it or request another C&P for an already decided matter at the BVA level.

Below is a concise message that I sent to the RO explaining the matter at hand:

On occasion of my last, the Detroit Regional Office made a determination which, whilst satisfactory in other respects (granted the IO retroactive payment), completely ignored the remaining portions of the BVA decision regarding one's appeal and BVA's remaining decisions regarding such appeals. Please, note that the BVA made a clear cut, object, and explicit decision regarding my GERD and "Left Ankle" conditions that the Detroit Regional Office simply failed to read, skimp reading it, or choose not to read the whole paragraph or sentences pertaining the totality of the BVA decisions. So, the question is: Do one really need to send all the pertaining documents issued directly by the BVA along with any other ancillary document to my Congressman's Office, thus exposing this non-sense situation that is more than another simple lapse from the RO? Or, could the RO simply rectify this failure originated from the RO's inability to read very clear, objective, and concise BVA deliberations concerning my case before issuing the Awarding Letter for my last appeal? And for one having to wait for yet another "claim" simply because the RO failed to read clear-objective BVAs statements and deliberations concerning my appeals previous to issuing the Decision and Awarding Letter is utterly absurd to say the least.

In order to raise awareness about this issue sometime ago (1 month ago) I went to county representative (the county rep. who has my power of attorney -- thus he can see things that I can not see -- and he also can back me on the dating of the material and claim sent, etc) in the hope that even though the RO simply did not answer the IRIS message regarding these issues that it would address the issue without further steps once I had followed the formal channels. But then, it only made matters worse: first off, they transfer my case to a different RO office (from Detroit, MI, to Cleaveland, OH) which then requested a C&P exam for well established BVA deliberation, determination, and decision regarding my past appeals that have been fully adjudicated and decided at the BVA level.

Any inputs about how to approach this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by tk3000

Interestingly, I am in the same boat as you. The VARO in Cleveland failed to comply with my 2012 BVA remand order.

As you have pointed out, the Veteran has an absolute right to RO compliance with the remand. Still, the VARO's do not always comply.

The following is my recommended sequence to force the VARO into compliance: (None of this should be necessary!!!)

1. You could/should send a 21-4138 to the RO, explaining your situtation, if you have not already.

2. You can write/email/call the BVA and tell them no implementation of your remand.

3. If you have not recieved a satisfactory response, then try emailing Allison Hickey or Robert McDonald, again explaining the failure to comply with REmand.

4. The last stage is to file a writ of mandamus with the CAVC to "compel the RO to comply with your BVA remand order".

Im in step 3, above, and hopeful a writ is unnecessary. I have already filed a writ, on a different issue.

Thanks, I will look into these steps closer. Communicating directly the BVA is something I haven't considered or done yet, and it may be a better approach.

Edited by tk3000

tk3000,

What date did they go back to on the IU award?

The thing about the remand is that it was only about the IU early effective date, Few weeks after having received the BVA letter via mail I got an awarding letter from the RO, but this awarding letter was only about the TDIU early effective date. It seems that in the remanding phase the RO decided to grant the IU early effective that I had requested initially ( back to 2010) instead of sending the case to the BVA for further adjudication. Besides not having been granted the rating increases defined by the BVA for the GERD and the Ankle, the awarding letter reasoning and development (bases and reasons) of the case for granting me an early effective date for IU was a really rudimentary one, so it must having been a decision that took place at the RO given that they assumed that the BVA would grant the early effective date anyway; but on doing so they also managed to void and avoid following the BVA guidelines (as stated on the BVA decision) for an early effective date potentially going back to 2007. This 2007 potential early effective date is stinging me right now.

Edited by tk3000

So you can appeal on the earlier effective date on the TDIU and see if the BVA will grant it back to 2007.

So based on what you stated you talked to the VA person about, it sounds like he was saying that since the TDIU you were granted back to 2010 already took the increased ratings for the other disabilities into consideration. If the BVA granted an increased rating for the left ankle back to 2009, and the TDIU only goes back to 2010, it seems like they still owe you retro on the left ankle. I am not sure about the GERDS. Was that what you were appealing back from 2007?

So you can appeal on the earlier effective date on the TDIU and see if the BVA will grant it back to 2007.

So based on what you stated you talked to the VA person about, it sounds like he was saying that since the TDIU you were granted back to 2010 already took the increased ratings for the other disabilities into consideration. If the BVA granted an increased rating for the left ankle back to 2009, and the TDIU only goes back to 2010, it seems like they still owe you retro on the left ankle. I am not sure about the GERDS. Was that what you were appealing back from 2007?

Yeah, the GERD appeal was initially filed in 2007. This omission and error from the RO part may ended up being a good thing after all since it allowed me to further look into the matter ( BVA developments and decisions ) , thus opened a window to a potentially much larger pending retropayment which likely was deliberately ignored by the RO.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA loves Veterans who move to another state. It doesn't matter where the claim is in the process. They transfer it and guess what??? It is out of their hands and is added to their finished numbers. Vets should never move when a claim is in process.

J