VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Meds For Ptsd,need Help?

Rate this topic

Is anyone taking any PTSD,depression,anxiety etc. drugs that are helping.I know most of the meds out there are used to treat many disorders.I been on so many throughout the years,but none ever helped me and gave me bad side effects.A few years ago the VA put me on Effexor.I felt I was doing okay on this med,until I was told by my wife,it's really not normal to be scrubbing the floors at 3 in the morning.I was recently told I should consider going back on meds,but I am so scared because of my past experiences.Phychiatry to me is a soft science,I been to so many of them and it was like they basically threw a dart at a dart board,ok let's try this one.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

All I can recommend is do your own research. You can become a strong self advocate by going through the internet and being able to tell the psychiatrist what side effects you are concerned about.

I have had just about every med or physical form of treatment, including 3 months in a Civilian Hospital and nothing worked for me, but that is just my experience. A lot of Vets tell me the meds help them. They make me worse most days. I woke up at 2am and by the time the family got up for school and work, I had already watched a 3 hour movie, Lol!!!

try Buproprion(Wellbutrin) it helps perk you up, take it twice a day...Sertraline(Zoloft) never did much for me and i took that off/on for 8 yrs....i've noticed a difference, but to each their own. its worth a try. remember changing drugs takes time and it takes time for it to get into your system and effect changes.

Thank you,yesterday I seen my Phychiatrist.I couldn't believe the session was an hour and a half.I been to so many Psychiatrists at the VA over the years,and never had a session over a half hour.Like I said,I'm afraid of Meds because of past experiences but she made me feel such at ease and comfortable.The end result was to start on Lexapro along with ambien as needed,as I have severe sleep issues.I'll being taking my first dose of Lexapro this morning,and I'm not afraid.What a great Phychiatrist she was.I hope I get some relief from it.

I have had just about every med or physical form of treatment, including 3 months in a Civilian Hospital and nothing worked for me, but that is just my experience. A lot of Vets tell me the meds help them. They make me worse most days. I woke up at 2am and by the time the family got up for school and work, I had already watched a 3 hour movie, Lol!!!

That's better then scrubbing your kitchen floor at 3 in the morning,LOL.