VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Resonable Vs As Likely As Not On Imo

Rate this question

RickH

Question

Maybe,BVA would accept it but in my opinion, it might fly like a brick.

The BVA is familiar with the IMO format here at hadit.

The word 'reasonable' can be used in an IMO, within a full medical rationale, but the phrase "as least as likely as not"

is what can trigger an award...not 'reasonable.'

If you are paying an IMO doctor, they should have a copy of the IMO format here at hadit and follow it to the letter....

They should also attach their curriculum vitae and anything else that reveals they have expertise in the field of disability.

Berta

I basically wrote the letter, as he said he would write it in your format, but he didn't rush doing it. Then BVA send the SSOC(response due on March 13,2015)

quicker than I thought, so I wrote it and asked him to take a look and see if he agreed, and could he sigh it? He make a few basic changes, but

replaced at least as likely as not with" reasonable"

RickH

RickH,

I had a similar situation with my neuro doctor. When I first asked him for an IMO he was reluctant but he told me to get with his medical assistant and tell her what I needed. I provided the medical assistant with a sample IMO from the Hadit website.. I also gave the medical assistant a list of the opinion phrases VA prefers to have in the IMO. Using the info I provided and my medical records, the medical assistant prepared an excellent IMO. However, the doctor changed the phrase "more likely than not" to "most likely" which actually seemed to be a stronger phrase than "more likely than not." However, I went back to the medical assistant and explained to her that the people who would be rating my claim were not medical professionals and they looked for certain opinion phrases in the IMOs and if the IMO did not contain one of those specific opinion phrases, they may deny my claim even if the doctor's IMO supported my claim. She agreed to talk with the doctor about my concern and said she would call me the following day. The next day she called me and said "I have your letter and the doctor was ok with the changes."

My suggestion to you is to talk with the doctor's medical assistant, nurse or someone who works with the doctor and explain your situation to them. They may be able to get the doctor to agree to the change for you. JMO

GP

It would depend on the rationale the doctor used, but I would be very nervous with the word reasonable. That would leave the VA the wiggle room to interpret it as "possible" instead of "likely."

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use