VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2015 Budget And Tdiu Vets 65 And Older

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

I've read the 2015 OMB Budget, stating effective 1 Oct 2015 that vets eligible for SSA or drawing SSA at ages 65-67 dependent on birthdays will no longer be paid at the 100% rate and will be paid at their assigned disability rate. Will current Vets that have been being paid a 100% for say 7 or 8 years be flat cutoff or is there a grandfather clause in the making. I am not concerned for myself as I am Schedular 100% with housebound award, but I have two buddies that are TDIU. One is 80% and the other 70%. Does anyone know the current status of this budget recommendation? It is posted on the website, but have not seen any threads concerning it. And Yeah I know it's been more than a several years since I have posted.

Here's my update. Went to VAMC Iowa City last week for 7 year throat cancer check up exam. I had finished the last of my radiation and chemo on the 1 Feb 2008. I have been going for follow-up exams ever since then and for the last two years it's been every 6 mos. They found a different suspicious spot and not near the spot the previous cancer was and it looked good. They attempted to do a local Biopsy in the exam room with just Novocain. They mad three attempts and each time I gagged and they had to withdraw the tool and reinsert. The fourth time it gagged me so bad I threw up. So they seized any further attempts at biopsy. I am scheduled to go back on 27 March 2015 and they will do another exam and if the spot is still there, then I will be scheduled for a surgical biopsy and put to sleep in a operating room and the biopsy will be taken then.

I've had 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemos 8 hrs each.....I pray I won't have to go through that again......don't feel I'll make it through that again.

• HadIt.com Elder

RockyA1911.

There was something posted about this a month or so ago here on Hadit, as proposed to the committee.

I have not heard anything about it lately I didn't even know it was passed? News to me!

Maybe J basser with bring it up on his radio show!

..................Buck!

• HadIt.com Elder

I've read the 2015 OMB Budget, stating effective 1 Oct 2015 that vets eligible for SSA or drawing SSA at ages 65-67 dependent on birthdays will no longer be paid at the 100% rate and will be paid at their assigned disability rate. Will current Vets that have been being paid a 100% for say 7 or 8 years be flat cutoff or is there a grandfather clause in the making. I am not concerned for myself as I am Schedular 100% with housebound award, but I have two buddies that are TDIU. One is 80% and the other 70%. Does anyone know the current status of this budget recommendation? It is posted on the website, but have not seen any threads concerning it. And Yeah I know it's been more than a several years since I have posted.

Here's my update. Went to VAMC Iowa City last week for 7 year throat cancer check up exam. I had finished the last of my radiation and chemo on the 1 Feb 2008. I have been going for follow-up exams ever since then and for the last two years it's been every 6 mos. They found a different suspicious spot and not near the spot the previous cancer was and it looked good. They attempted to do a local Biopsy in the exam room with just Novocain. They mad three attempts and each time I gagged and they had to withdraw the tool and reinsert. The fourth time it gagged me so bad I threw up. So they seized any further attempts at biopsy. I am scheduled to go back on 27 March 2015 and they will do another exam and if the spot is still there, then I will be scheduled for a surgical biopsy and put to sleep in a operating room and the biopsy will be taken then.

I've had 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemos 8 hrs each.....I pray I won't have to go through that again......don't feel I'll make it through that again.

Here is the problem, proposed budget or not! SSA after 65 is a totally independent benefit paid for by the recipient. SSDI (under 65)

is similar to VA disability, but certainly not identical. To really begin to replace "lost income", even at the VA 100% payment level, it takes a combination of both SSA and the VA payment. Then, you get into the bit about "earned benefits". A change of the magnitude discussed would certainly show that the government cannot be trusted to live up to it's promises and obligations. I'd be tempted to say that most members of congress would be really scared to vote for such a thing. (But you never know when politicians and money are mixed!)

RockyA1911,

I hope your surgical biopsy goes well and they don't find any more Cancer. My prayers are with you.

Good luck and Semper Fi.

GP

So no one knows or has been tracking the status of this proposed budget cut? I would have thought Berta or Carlie would have stayed on this like white on rice. How do we know whether or not this will take effect on 1 Oct 2015. The budget with the justification for reducing TDIU from 100% to actual disability rating can be a loss of month pay of over $1000 for those that are age 65 -67 whether they are drawing SS or not.

• HadIt.com Elder

It would Hurt thousands of veterans, surely it will be Kept in Appeals? or voted out...That's my way of thinking anyway (maybe wishful thinking)

Jbasser mention this a few months ago I think?

Never know about those folks in Washington!

Rocky can you post this information stating this will take effect on Oct 1st 2015?

...............................Buck!

Edited by Buck52

November 20, 2014

OPTIONS FOR REDUCING THE DEFICIT: 2015 TO 2024

Mandatory SpendingOption 20

Function 700 - Veterans Benefits and Services

Restrict VA's Individual Unemployability Benefits to Disabled Veterans Who Are Younger Than the Full Retirement Age for Social Security

Billions of dollars 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2015-2019 2015-2024

Change in Outlays 0.0 -1.0 -1.9 -1.9 -1.9 -1.9 -1.9 -1.9 -1.9 -1.9 -6.7 -16.3

Note: This option would take effect in October 2015. Estimates are relative to CBO’s August 2014 baseline projections.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) supplements regular disability compensation payments with Individual Unemployability (IU) payments for low-income veterans that it deems unable to engage in substantial work. To qualify, veterans’ wages or salaries cannot exceed the federal poverty guidelines for a single person, and applicants generally must be rated between 60 percent and 90 percent disabled. A veteran qualifying for the IU supplement receives a monthly disability payment equal to the amount that he or she would receive with a 100 percent disability rating.

Under this option, VA would no longer make IU payments to veterans who were past Social Security’s full retirement age, which varies from 65 to 67, depending on a beneficiary’s birth year. Therefore, at the full retirement age, VA disability payments would revert to the amount associated with the disability rating.