VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Tax Exemption, Do You Need To Be Pt Or Just 100%?

Rate this question

marine0816

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It looks like it has to be considered permanent and total. But you still might want to keep checking and see if there is anything else.

http://www.dat.state.md.us/sdatweb/veteran.pdf

STATE OF MARYLAND
DEPARTMENT OF ASSESSMENTS AND TAXATION
APPLICATION FOR EXEMPTION FOR 100% DISABLED VETERANS

TO BE COMPLETED BY THE VETERANS ADMINISTRATION
The United States Veterans Administration hereby certifies that the above named veteran, has been declared by the Veterans Administration to
have a service-connected disability, which was not incurred through misconduct; that the said disability is ___ % disabling,
permanent in character, and reasonably certain to continue throughout the life of said veteran; and that the said veteran is receiving
disability payments as allowed for reasons of____ % disability, or _____% unemployability.
The character of the disability is as follows:
Edited by free_spirit_etc

• HadIt.com Elder

It varies state by state. Just have him check the Maryland state veterans benefits. In VT I get $40k off may assessment. In neighboring NH, they get $1,500 or $2,000, off their tax bill, depending on the town.

pr

I agree. State by state......in Texas, homestead property tax exemptions are on a sliding scale from something like $5000 off the appraised value of a home/property for a 10% disabled veteran all the way up to 100% homestead property taxes waived for a 100% disabled veteran and for his/her surviving spouse for the remainder of their lives.

I believe that a 100% disabled veteran also has the option of waiving something like $12,000 off the taxable appraised value of a second piece of property as well here in Texas.

Also, if you are rated at 10%, but are below 100%, when you turn 65 years of age, you are entitled to the 100% homestead property tax reduction. That also includes a surviving spouse, who does not remarry or sell the property, for the remainder of their life as well.

I haven't checked to see if all of that is still in place, but I think it is.

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas

I notice they have a part for unemployability percentage, might be worth contacting the State Property Tax Office.
STATE OF MARYLAND
DEPARTMENT OF ASSESSMENTS AND TAXATION
APPLICATION FOR EXEMPTION FOR 100% DISABLED VETERANS

TO BE COMPLETED BY THE VETERANS ADMINISTRATION
The United States Veterans Administration hereby certifies that the above named veteran, has been declared by the Veterans Administration to
have a service-connected disability, which was not incurred through misconduct; that the said disability is ___ % disabling,
permanent in character, and reasonably certain to continue throughout the life of said veteran; and that the said veteran is receiving
disability payments as allowed for reasons of____ % disability, or _____% unemployability.

All I am finding on Maryland is the 100%. But they do include unemployability as part of that.

Asking the tax assessors office is a good idea. But also look at the law. (The tax assessors office told me I would not qualify for a standard disability exemption -- as my husband was not alive when I filed. But he was alive during part of the year that the taxes covered, and so I applied anyway. And I got the exemption for that year.)

But in regard to the question as to whether the disability has to be permanent - it looks like it does.

The law is here:

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/tax-property/title-7/subtitle-2/7-208/

§ 7-208. Dwelling house of disabled veteran; surviving spouse.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) (i) "Disabled veteran" means an individual who:

1. is honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances from active military, naval, or air service as defined in 38 U.S.C. § 101; and

2. has been declared by the Veterans' Administration to have a permanent 100% service connected disability that results from blindness or other disabling cause that:

A. is reasonably certain to continue for the life of the veteran; and

B. was not caused or incurred by misconduct of the veteran.

One nice thing is that they consider SC granted after death:

(ii) "Disabled veteran" includes an individual who qualifies posthumously for a 100% service connected disability.