VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ab8 Letter 100% P&t But No Chap 35?

Rate this question

Snake Eyes

Question

Looks like all my contentions except TDIU were denied (as far as I can tell from AB8 letter). I'll know more when I get the BBE.

For now, my question has to do with the new AB8 letter. It says outright that I am considered totally and permanently disabled at 90% but paid at 100% rate because of unemployability.

It is my understanding my dependents qualify for Chapter 35 at 100% P&T, but I can't find a letter that verifies this. Any suggestions? Is that something that only comes with the decision letter and is not available to print out from eBeneies (Inquiring college students want to know :-) )

Congrats on the IU and 100%, and as far as the Chap 35, that should be in your official BBE packet that you will get here shortly. Just take a deep breath, and take the family out to Red Lobster when you get the Ole Retro. Good luck, God Bless and keep us posted!!!

Funny, Navy.... when I got the AB8 letter I texted my wife to see if she wanted to celebrate. I probably WILL take the family to Dead Lobster :-)

Biggest concern is an article where Jim Strickland explained that different branches of the VA speak different languages... Hopefully, I won't have any surprises when I go to schedule a dental appointment or when my college kid applies for Chapter 35.

Updates forthcoming once I get the BBE.

I'm in the same boat as you Snake Eyes. 90% overall but 100% due to I/U. My Ab8 letter doesn't say, however, that I am considered total and permanent but I am waiting for the official packet to draw any reasonable conclusions, considering how horrible eBenefits has been lately. Congrats and good luck. I think I'll be buying an Apple Watch and the rest to the old savings account/moving fund!

Edited by bh1981

Congrats on the IU and 100%.

I just received TDIU 100% P&T last year. I have already started to receive Chapter 35 Benefits for my dependent child . My award was retroactive and has received benefits back to my retroactive date. It takes about 30-45 days to be approved. The VA Office for Chapter 35 is out of Buffalo NY. Once you complete the VA form 22-5490 VA Education Benefits send it to them, I'd also complete the VA form 21-0845 Authorization to Disclose Information to a Third Party. The 21-0845 will need to be signed by your dependent child. This form allows you to make phone calls to the Buffalo Office on their behalf, to ask questions. I believe the dependent has 41 months of benefits and till age 26 to use them, some other thinks can come into play to extent that, if I remember right.

Good Luck

Edited by foreveryoung

Thanks for the info ForeverYoung. I believe it's 45 months now.

I have one son who was still in college during the date span (my retro goes back to August of 2012) so I'm wondering if he should apply. I've been told the retro only helps in establishing they started before age 26).

So the student submits the application and the vet submits the authorization to release to third party? I did a PDF of the AB8 letter and sent it to the kid who's in college now, which might make the authorization unnecessary.... but I don't want to give Murphy an opportunity to practice law here ;-)

I'm in the same boat as you Snake Eyes. 90% overall but 100% due to I/U. My Ab8 letter doesn't say, however, that I am considered total and permanent but I am waiting for the official packet to draw any reasonable conclusions, considering how horrible eBenefits has been lately. Congrats and good luck. I think I'll be buying an Apple Watch and the rest to the old savings account/moving fund!

I got the retro pay the other day -- based on amount, it looks like my IU is retro to August of 2012. out for pool & pizza to celebrate.