VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Qualify

Rate this question

diver

Question

Hello everyone. I am looking at filing for SSDI and I don’t know what I am facing. I have herd lots of nightmares from it. I will be leaving work this month and starting voc rehab. I am unable to continue to do the work that I have been doing for 9 years. I am only 41 and here is my list of service connected problems.

Depression 50%
Lumbar strain 40%
Tinnitus 10%
Right ankle sprain 20%
Left ankle sprain 10%
Left knee instability 10%
Left knee chrondromalacia 10%
Right knee chrondromalacia 10%
Left knee limitation of extention 10%
Right knee limitation of extention 10%

What would be my odds. Again I know nothing about this. I was never planning on this until I have been told by many friends and family to do it.

Thanks for your thoughts and any pointers on how to do it

Diver

Normally will take 2-3 months before the initial decision is made which is often a denial unless substantial medical files to back up claim.

If denied the appeal process will begin. 8-16 months is the normal wait time to have a ALJ hearing. After which 2-3 months before ALJ decision even if Judge stats a favorable hearing. Then anywhere from 1-3 months on average for benefits to start.

I will use mine as an example:

Initial Filed: Early January 2014

Denied: March 2014

Appealed with Lawyer: March 2014

ALJ Hearing: January 27, 2015 (Judge stated he is giving me a favorable decision though until letter is sent it can change).

Today is March 24 and I still have no decision letter and waiting.

There is still 1 more step after this that can take upto another 3 months though some have gotten it faster.

Diver I don't know if this might be useful but this is what I have done to prepare for my cases. In order to file for disability retirement if you are still working. You are going to need an application submitted to SS office. Whether you get the claim approved or denied is irrelevant for your application for disability retirement you have to have an SSDI/SSI application in the works. I filed mine in anticipation for the evidence that the DOL, VA, and AFPC was ignoring. These agencies will require those records in order to process your application. With that high of a rating you should be on the more positive side of getting approved, however, I can tell you from experience, you think the VA is scandalous, you haven't seen nothing yet. I've seen some of your posts but I don't recall if you are working? Are you still employed?

Well I just filed online for ssdi. How long on average does it normally takes before you hear anything at all.

I got denied the same day I applied. But I am still employed. Barely employed, but I am having issues at work and it was necessary for disability retirement to have an application in for SSDI? Typically, it can take around 4 months or so, but a lot of factors can make that shorter and unfortunately longer, however, I will say they are a hell of lot more efficient than other agencies, at my first go, I got to speak to a live person and look them in the eye. Much different than the VA and Workers Comp.

Have you inferred a TDIU claim. If you have one rating at 60% or combination of ratings that equal to 70% or more you should have gotten and application for TDIU with your decision. Do you recall if there was one?

I am not working now. I am being sent to voc rehab now to try something. And my dav rep did send me some paperwork for tdui. I have filled it out but have nut submitted it yet. I have some claims that are going to be done very soon and if it all works out I will hit 100% and I will not need the tdui. I am currently sitting at 90.3% and I have 8 claims open. I just had my knees done and I have 2 that are rated at 10% that should go up to 20% for 15 degree extension. And then I am rated 10% for left knee instability and the Dr found instability in my right knee also so hopefully I will get fated for that and they will become bilateral. Then I was rated for sciatica in left hip and the decision stated that my Dr stated it was in left hip only but after talking to my Dr his exam states in 2 locations that it's in both extremities. So if they fix that there is another 10% and then they would be bilateral. And then I have heel spurs on both feet but I will probably be denied for them. I am very close and if it puts me over the top then I would much rather not have to start another nightmare with the VA. However it is filled out and ready to submit as soon as I get the rating.