VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu For Meneires

Rate this question

Runrdud3

Question

In Dec 2014 I put in a claim for IU due to lack of being able to work because of meneires disaese. I am rated at 30% for this with sleep apnea at 50%. I have obtained a primary physicians letter stating that the disease has prevented me from gainful employment to include sedetary work.

What are the chances of this getting approved?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

In Dec 2014 I put in a claim for IU due to lack of being able to work because of meneires disaese. I am rated at 30% for this with sleep apnea at 50%. I have obtained a primary physicians letter stating that the disease has prevented me from gainful employment to include sedetary work.

What are the chances of this getting approved?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

You might need a letter from Audiology for this issue.

Did the letter from your primary physician provide full medical rationale

to support their statement ?

FWIW - the schedule for ratings regarding Meneires does not provide a note to evaluate

employment.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=11b0140a88c52e5481a3e139cf6e7a49&node=se38.1.4_187&rgn=div8

6205 Meniere's syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops):

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus 100

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait occurring from one to four times a month, with or without tinnitus 60

Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or without tinnitus 30

Note: Evaluate Meniere's syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.

You might want to do some research on your question at the BVA web site.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp

Thanks for the info carlie,

On Jan 2014 I was rated 30% for Meneires (an initial increase). I went through a private ENT doc as well as the C&P docs at the VA (Audiology and ENT) before the decision was made.

My Meneires has gotton worse since Jan 2014 and my primary care doctor wrote a letter on my behalf stating that vertigo and dizzyness causes me issues with ability to work to include sedetary work and I put in for an IU claim in Dec 2014. I was wondering how much weight a private docs letter will hold and if by chance another round of C&Ps is waranted.

You might need a letter from Audiology for this issue.

Did the letter from your primary physician provide full medical rationale

to support their statement ?

FWIW - the schedule for ratings regarding Meneires does not provide a note to evaluate

employment.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=11b0140a88c52e5481a3e139cf6e7a49&node=se38.1.4_187&rgn=div8

6205 Meniere's syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops):

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus 100 Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait occurring from one to four times a month, with or without tinnitus 60 Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or without tinnitus 30 Note: Evaluate Meniere's syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.

Runrdud3,

Letters from your private ENT doctor and audiologist should carry more weight than a primary care doctor since they specialize in hearing problems and ear diseases and disorders. Make sure their letters address the issue of your inability to hold gainful employment and the increase in severity of your conditions. JMO

GP

Thanks georgiapapa,

I wish I could have got a letter from the ENT I saw a year ago, but he moved his practice to another state. I am working with the DAV and they claim a letter from a primary care doc is a golden ticket. I am certain that I will have to go the C&P process to verify the condition getting worse. DAV tells me that in some cases, you do not even have to go through an exam to get approved. Seeing is believing!

I suggest you get your Doc to tell how it effects your daily life. I would also put your own words in a sworn statement. Then get

statements from family member's how it effects your daily life. I have this issue pending and this is our game plan plus an IME. I also have letters from ENT Doc and Primary Care Doc.

I suggest you get your Doc to tell how it effects your daily life. I would also put your own words in a sworn statement. Then get

statements from family member's how it effects your daily life. I have this issue pending and this is our game plan plus an IME. I also have letters from ENT Doc and Primary Care Doc.

Sounds like a good way to pursue it. My doc did state the effects it has on daily living. Are you trying to get IU for Menieres? The DAV tells me I will more than likely not have a C&P for an IU claim as I was rated less than a year ago when I put in for the claim. I don't know why because a VA ENT could evaluate me again so I will have to see/ Should be hearing something soon. Thanks