VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Ptsd And Mdd Combined

diver

Question

I am looking for information. I was talking to the rater of my claim and she stated that even though I am rated for 50% MDD/Depression they will still rate my PTSD if granted and then they will combine the 2 and grant a higher rating. Has this happened to any one and if so does that change the % that it goes up. Does it still go up from 50 to 70 or because of the combined would they change it to 60%

Diver

15 answers to this question

I hope so. I see a lot of people that have med,PTSD, and anxiety all together. What I don't know is if they were rated for 1 first then was rated for another 1 later and then how they would be combined together. I am currently 50% depression due to service connected knees and have a claim in for ptsd. I hope that sense the VA has diagnosed me with ptsd that they will accept it and rate me for it also. As of now I am sitting at 90.33% so 90 and if they combined the 2 and granted me 70% I would go up to 93% and then I have about 9 other claims pending that will hopefully move me over the 95% Mark. My original benefits letter on Ebenifets stated that I was 90 with a review in 2020 for mdd but now it just said 90% so I wonder if they have changed something with the ptsd already. I do have a claim in pending approval. I know I have the sciatica that would be pending but I have 2 class open I. Ebenifets 1 old and 1 new. The pending approval is for the new claim and that does not have my ptsd of sciatica it is for my knees. I was told that they are ordering a c&p for my knees just the day before yesterday and they have already added my knees to the old claim so I am really confused about it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you working? I have a combined rating for emotional disorders that includes just about everything in the book. The VA does not care so much about your DX as they do the way it affects your ability to work and to live as a social being. Mainly, it is your ability to work. You can be as crazy as Daffy Duck but if you work 40 hours a week and make a decent living you are probably never going to get a rating above 50% for a mental/emotional disorder. I know a guy who was on SSDI for his PTSD and the VA kept him at 50% until he filed for an increase. He wasn't really working but just doing odd jobs. He has the worst anxiety attacks I ever saw but worked for himself fixing docks in Florida. He reported nothing.

This next week is my last week. I had no choice but to leave I physically can not do that type of work anymore. I know the C&P doctor stated difficulties in most areas. They are reviewing my records to make the ruling on the PTSD. I hope that now that my vocational rehabilitation is in the system that they will use that in support for the higher rating.

Everything above is pretty much on the money. I have a 3 tier diagnosis that I am waiting on for the decision to become official. They are rating anxiety, depression, and PTSD. The thing with mental conditions as with other things even if it is multifaceted they will only rate one predominant condition. As in my case, this is just from conjecture from information of my attorney and speaking with the DRO unofficially. I will be rated for depression and anxiety vs the PTSD. They will or rather are supposed to rate your service connected conditions to the disease and condition that more accurately fits your mental health issues. I think, just personal opinion here, that I feel most people who have some form of disability from service will suffer from depression, it is inevitable. Even if you had depression before service, I believe it would not be too hard to connect the dots that your military injuries or disease have made it worse. Mind you, you are going to have to have a Dr. relate it to you service and that they have reviewed your entire SMR's. That is a must. The VA is not going to connect the dots for you even though the regs say to do so through VCAA. It is imperative that you have contemporary records showing treatment and progression. JMO

I have already been diagnosed and granted depression as connected to me service connected knees. I have also been diagnosed with ptsd through the VA. I do understand that you can only be rated for 1. I am intrigued with what the rater told me. That still doesn't mean that they will grant service connection for the ptsd. I hope they do so I can see what they will do with it.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is something called co-morbidity which means usually that your combined conditions make your entire condition worse. Depression is a very common symptom of PTSD. Even if you only get DX for depression you can get 100% for that. If you can't work due to bouts of depression that is evidence for TDIU at least. You don't have to be DX'ed with PTSD to get TDIU or 100% from the VA for a mental condition.

First the VA DX'ed me with Schizophrenia when I first went to the VA in 1972. Later it was changed to Bipolar. Then MMD and then back to schizophrenia. Finally, they just threw it all at the wall and rated me 70% TDIU. The DX is not so important. The army shrink DX'ed me as a personality disorder because I would not call him "Sir" and called him doctor instead. The best way to get a higher rating once you are SC is to get an IME/IMO.

John

• Like 1

Yeah John. I would have to agree. With anything that you are service connected for you need to continue treatment. VA or private. Make sure that at least once a year preferably at each 6 month exam you visit with the VA primary care. If you don't suddenly the VA starts saying that you are cured because you are not seeking treatment. What is funny, for me at least, a lot of my anxiety is made worse just by dealing with the VA and the VA claims process. But heh to each his own.

• Like 1

I am doing everything I can to go in to the clinic especially the counselor. I start stressing so much. My knees start bouncing and I start sweating. It is not a pleasant time. Then when I get in to see the counselor she tells me that until I come up with something that I want to fix she can't help me. I don't know I have been having problems for 20 years now. I don't know what part of me to fix. I've told her I want to work on anger, panic attacks, anxiety, compulsive disorder. She has given my touchy feely Zen crap that works for some people but it makes me feel like an idiot. I'm in a no win situation. I like most of you just want to suffer in Pease and not have the stress of fighting with the VA.

• Like 2

Without fail every visit I make for therapy or to see my MH DR. I get extremely stressed out. Once I leave and start recounting some of the visit and find where things were twisted I get totally bummed out. On more than one occasion a visit to the VA has totally ruined me for a day or two. Just like I have to force myself to go to work every day, I too have to force myself to go to the VA....is it worth the pain?

My DAV VSO told me I shouldn't talk too much about my suicidal ideation because I can lose my rights? IE "Control of finances" well I've been married to the same lady for 47 years......what I need is peace and no more worry. At 64 I can't see this ending well for me. I'm wasted.

diver, i feel for you bud. But you don't have to take that. If the treatment options that they are giving you aren't working for you ask to change docs. Better yet don't ask to do so insist on it. These docs forget who they work for sometimes. They are employed because of patients. If you are not making progress with what tools she gives you tell her so. If she gives you crap, demand a different doc.

There are some good tools online and there is even a PTSD coach with mobile devices. I am not sure if you are tech savvy but you at least know how to get around in the forums so it may be worth a shot. Also remember slow is smooth smooth is fast. There are resources out there. JMO take care

I had an appointment with the social worker yesterday and she started to reed my file. She stated that yesterday the VA changed my raiting. I am now rated for ptsd and they added the mdd into it. Unfortunately the rating stayed at 50% but that answers my question about what they will do. I went to look at me AB8 letter and at the bottom before it stated that I was scheduled for a reduction in 2020 and now it does not. Also there was a seccond letter just below this letter and that one is not there any more. To be honest the deduction statment may have been on the missing letter.

Diver

I had an appointment with the social worker yesterday and she started to reed my file. She stated that yesterday the VA changed my raiting. I am now rated for ptsd and they added the mdd into it. Unfortunately the rating stayed at 50% but that answers my question about what they will do. I went to look at me AB8 letter and at the bottom before it stated that I was scheduled for a reduction in 2020 and now it does not. Also there was a seccond letter just below this letter and that one is not there any more. To be honest the deduction statment may have been on the missing letter.

Diver

I am still waiting on the decision to be mailed. I know I won the MDD claim but I am so damn curious about how they rated it and their explanation as to service connection. The funny part now is that they "ACCIDENTALLY" removed my attorneys access to the my records. So he is blind sort of speaking. However, before losing access he saw the proposed decision in the works. I know they service connected all the issues on my claim. A 50% for one and zero's for the others. What I want and need is the decision. Also the DRO must have decided against my appeal because now Ebennies states that an SOC was mailed. Anyways off point.

With any mental condition or set of mental conditions if they cannot be separated then they are rated with the most predominant illness, however, that doesn't mean that suddenly the others don't exist or go away. PTSD and depression and anxiety are closely related. In itself PTSD in an anxious state due to a traumatic event or series of events. JMO but I would like to meet an individual that suffers from PTSD and does not have anxiety or depression issues. I am not sure that would be possible. JMO but I believe those go hand in hand.

Per the regs if they can't separate them, then it is combined and the most prominent condition becomes the basis for service connection and ratting. Again this is just from my experience and reading of the regulations that relate to this.

If anyone else has a take on this please chime in. Because I am getting ready to dig in and fight this before I even get the hardcopy decision back. I already started on my NOD and looking over how to file the form 9 and waiver of review. I am not doing a DRO review again.

AskNod is right on point with the DRO review. It is a waste of time IMO as well. Try it once and don't go back to it again. Head straight to BVA if your evidence and case is strong. Save back at least one peace of evidence or strong IME/IMO. I believe that is the strongest attack.

Anyways of point again. With mental conditions that are intertwined like this. I still believe you have to approach treating the conditions from a multi faceted attack plan. Bite my tongue, the VA does have some excellent resources, and once you get the Doctors on board, you can get quality treatment. For those that are tech savvy the PTSD app is a good resource. Meditation and breathing exercises help me quite a bit. Also get a hobby, the distraction, even if brief, does so much. Most importantly have a support structure, whether it be a spouse or significant other. My last point talk or chat with people that have gone and are going through what your facing. It makes me closer to being normal when I do some of these things. JMO