VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going To A C&p Exam, What Are The Does And Dont's

Rate this question

RoverV8Man

Question

Good Morning to Everyone,

I am due to go to my C&P this week and I am curious as what to expect when I go through this exam. Yes, this is my first time of a C&P. I also want to know what are the should do and should not do at this exam. I want to know what I am in for and what can I expect from the results. I must admit that I was surprise to get a C&P. I was denied my request for increased benefits a year ago, so I put an appeal in for my injuries. I guess this is in response to that appeal and I pray that they finally discover the issues I am having.

Thanks for your attention,

John

5 answers to this question

Good Morning to Everyone,

I am due to go to my C&P this week and I am curious as what to expect when I go through this exam. Yes, this is my first time of a C&P. I also want to know what are the should do and should not do at this exam. I want to know what I am in for and what can I expect from the results. I must admit that I was surprise to get a C&P. I was denied my request for increased benefits a year ago, so I put an appeal in for my injuries. I guess this is in response to that appeal and I pray that they finally discover the issues I am having.

Thanks for your attention,

John

Here's a link for C&P exams, do's and Dont's:

http://www.hadit.com/things-to-do-at-your-va-compensation-and-pension-exam/

Here's some additional link's you might want to read:

http://www.hadit.com/a-veterans-benefits-raters-view/

http://www.hadit.com/veterans-affairs-claims-process/

And you might want to study at the following link posted in the first

post by broncovet, at this link:

Just go in there and be honest bud. Talk about your most recent increased health issues. Also don't go in there looking good or smelling good. Also if the Doc asks you how you are, don't tell them that you are doing great. Don't lie, but what I am saying is be careful what you do or say, as the VA Docs seem to think that Vets are cured, if they smell good, dress well or just say hi. Good luck and you will be fine. God Bless!!!

RoverV8Man,

I would suggest taking copies of any relevant medical records supporting your request for an increase to your C & P exam. Although they should, don't rely on your RO providing copies for the C & P examiner to review. The C & P examiner may or may not review the copies you provide to them. At my last C & P exam, the examiner used info from the reports I provided to answer some of the questions on her computerized checklist and she kept the copies. When I obtained a copy of the C & P exam report, I noticed the C & P examiner had used some of the info from the report copies I provided to her to complete her report. I won my award.

Good luck to you.

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with geogriapapa,

Take copies of your medical evidence that pertain to your claim!

if the examiner fails to discuss any of the claimed disability's ,and talks about other things and you think this exam is going south, whip out your reports and say yes sir/mam Now I'd like to discuss these reports with you or let you read them it appears you don't have copies of my medical evidence.

you may not need to if your exam goes favorable for ya.....just incase!

some times you have to do that if it seems they fail to discuss what your there for.

if you don't then look to be denied.

..................Buck!

Edited by Buck52

I went in with all my medical records and conditions highlighted for each issue. The Dr. actually asked if she could review them since she preferred that over scrolling through the computer. She actually stated that she wished more patients would do that. Also, she was glad that I was in jogging pants and a T-shirt. She wished more patients would wear those type of clothes especially for range of motion tests, etc. She was very nice, understanding and detailed. My last exam was just yesterday and I don't know the results, but at least she verbally stated that all my information we disussed was verified in my records and matched my symptoms, etc. So, credibility was there.

Now, not all Dr.'s want to see your medical records that you brought in. But, I also created a list of dates for each of my issues I was claiming. This helps alot since they want to know when each issue started, when tests were performed, surgery dates, etc. I went through my entire records and made lists for each event, even Physical Therapy sessions, steroid injections, medications list, etc.

During the exam, be honest, say what causes things to hurt, don't try to over succeed on ROM tests, stop when it hurts or is uncomfortable. State a pain level (1-10) and know # times a year things flare up. Having a documented approach will make the appointement easy since the medical documentation should support your current symptoms. Also, some appoointments go quick, some take longer. Don't let that affect your impression since the RO may only be asking for 1 simple piece of information. Still, you can ask the Dr. about your concerns, why an issue wasn't evaluated, etc. Communicate.

Results from the C&P are usually posted 3 days after the exam on My HealtheVet, so sign up for that account if you haven't already.

Finally, be polite and courteous. The examiners are there to document what they see and to match it to your records. There may be some bad ones, but all of mine have been good and were female except the Dental Dr who was male. I believe showing respect from the beginning doesn't hurt. However, attitudes can definelty hurt the situation. Be calm, polite and honest and all should go well.

Good luck!