VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

How Accurate Is The Ab8 Benefit Verification On Ebenefits?

Jaymega

Question

Hi. I'll try and keep this short. I was curious about my claim status so I called the VA the other day. I was told that my claim is in the final verification phase and I can expect a letter in roughly 30 days or so.

So I am off today and I decide to take another crack at Ebenefits. Got access to my account and did what the VA rep suggested to upgrade. Worked great. I notice that I have two claims for the same date. One is closed, the other still open. I assume an error. My claim is still in the "Gathering evidence" phase. I notice the following.

Decision Notification Sent

Development Letter Sent

Okay. Not sure what that means, but after some exploring I check out the Benefit Verification in documents. It states I am rated at 10%.

My question is this. Is that accurate? It's better than nothing, but with the doctors reviewing me stating I suffer from Anxiety, depression, Poor memory/Other TBI symptoms,Migranes and Tinitus...I kind of expected more. Plus I just had a hearing test (the third one) last month and this letter seems like it was decided late last year.

I dunno. Should I hope for more or should I just prepare for a permanent 10%?

12 answers to this question

Jaymega,

It is usually accurate but mistakes are made by the VA. Hopefully, you will find out in the near future.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

GP

Jay mega,

Don't get discouraged until you receive official notice. Also, a lot of people currently at 100% started at 10%, including myself. Do not give up.

Good luck.

GP

look at it like a win my friend. the big door that has a ton of gate keepers and pad locks has just been slightly opened up for you... trust me its a win.

i received just 10% at first as well, 2 years later im at 50% and got about two years in retro.... your still on a long road but its A WIN... Congrats !!!!!!!!

• Like 2

It seems like you should get more then 10% from what you suffer from.Yes,be happy for the win,as it cracked the door open for you.Goodluck bud.

No need to worry until you get the official Document Letter. It could be that the VA awarded 10% and deferred other conditions for review or possible SC. Really just hard to know what the VA is thinking without the letter. I too was 80% VA in Feb 14, when I was medically retired from the Navy. Less than a year later I was awarded 100% SC VA, and SSDI, when my dang local VSO said that I would never get either. Good Luck and God Bless!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. I see now that I made a huge mistake my first time around that i will not make again. You see, I sugar coated my problems. I was so worried about making myself seem worse than I actually am rather than being 100% honest. So I guess I screwed myself.

I am making another claim. I would appeal, but since this one is still being processed I can't appeal it yet. Plus I am making more claims. For instance, I had no idea depression was claimable. So whenever this one gets rolling I am going to let it all out. Instead of telling them "how well I deal with my issues" I am just going to flat out tell them about the nightmares, anxiety, how I have no friends outside what I made in the Army, and how my family is even sick of how I choose to stay in my room 24/7 and not even communicate.

I'll get a better rating. It's crazy to even think that my friend could get 100% for PTSD after seeing someone die and I can't a break, even though I was good friends with the person who died, was right their with him when it happened, and had to help collect/carry what was left of him to the body bag.

Side note: I just realized that the only reason the VA exists is to help veterans. Yet I know for a fact that their main priority is to protect the government and save them money. It boggles my mind how much of a contradiction that is.

Any tips moving on would be most appreciated. I don't want to go in there and make them think I am fine when I am anything but again.

Edited by Jaymega (see edit history)

Good news folks. I am now at 60%. However, my PTSD is still rated as "not combat related" and my Tinitus is only for one ear. Not sure the logic in that but I'm just glad I am not sitting at 10% anymore. I filed another claim for PTSD and the ringing in my left ear. It's not as bad as my right ear, but it's definitely there. Plus I now realize that I can't sleep without sleep aids and that has caused some major issues with work and school.

Thank you all for the help and advice. I see now why people have said to leave Ebennies alone and wait for the envelope. That crap is stressful man.

Good luck everyone.

Jaymega,

As far as the rating for tinnitus, it doesn't matter if the tinnitus is only in one ear because the maximum rating for tinnitus is 10% whether in one ear or both ears.

GP

Jaymega,

As far as the rating for tinnitus, it doesn't matter if the tinnitus is only in one ear because the maximum rating for tinnitus is 10% whether in one ear or both ears.

GP

How does that effect hearing aids? I would hate to go there with hearing loss in both ears and only get approved for one hearing aid.