VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Widower Benefits

Rate this question

Fat

Question

5 answers to this question

yes in some cases. Is the widower getting DIC?

Lots of info here:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/purchaseco_certificate.asp

I looked into this years ago when I considered adding a library/extra bedroom to my home.

I am in a credit union and the VA Home Loan people checked out my VA DIC status and immediately said they would contact my credit union for a VA home loan.

The Credit Union told me they handled the COE and asked how much I needed.

I never pursued it though.....

I had the specs all doped out for the local code enforcement officer but he saw a problem with one part of my new addition idea and said I could easily change it and add on to another part of my home, instead of where my specs room was.

I thought about it but then again, I have too many books as it is ,dont really need another bedroom , and I find the Kindle is far more convenient.

I have the entire Bible and 4 other books in a plastic Kindle that fits into my purse.

As I understood the VA Home Loan people, I could get loan for repairs, an addition, modifications etc etc...or if I bought a new home and moved.into it.

I think you have to also have a good credit rating.

If the widower has DIC, for direct SC death of his veteran wife, does he also get CHAMPVA and Chap 35?(He should be getting them)

This is a good topic Home Loans for vets as well as surviving spouses...maybe a good topic for a radio show.

Berta,

This is great info. I will add this to my notebook I have been preparing for my wife of things to do when I die and benefits available to her upon my death. I have made my adult daughter aware of the notebook so she can make sure my wife does what she needs to do to get the benefits available to her from the VA and OPM (federal civil service). Berta, I hope you don't mind but one notation I placed in my notebook was for my daughter to go to the Hadit website if she has any questions regarding surviving spouse benefits and use my profile name and direct the questions to you for advice.

Note: I do not plan on going anywhere anytime soon but I just like the peace of mind knowing I have done everything I can to make sure my wife can get on with her life after I am gone with as little stress as possible.

Fat: Sorry for jumping on your thread. Great question.

GP

I was interested in the VA home loan. A good thing about them is they have low down payments. But I was reading that they had higher interest and more fees than a conventional mortgage. So that is something to check out. But that is interesting information Berta. I didn't know they also gave loans for repairs and modifications.

I too have a death file, and we did a radio show or two here in the past on that and how important it is for the eventual survivors of veterans..

During Nehmer I made sure my file had all of the stuff my daughter would need, if I died prior to the Nehmer award.

In my death file I have photos of how my PC and my TVs are set up , as well as when last time my septic tank was cleaned out, I photoed the guy pointing a shovel to the lid, in reference to my side deck steps then did a photo over the cement tiles I cover it with.So it can be found easily.

Also I have photos of how I set up my multiple hoses every spring and how the water system works and where the pump is as well as the well. All sorts of things in it..it has turned into a "Book".

Of course my husband;'s DD 214/215 is in it, his SSDI awards, my deed to the Bath VA Cemetery plot, my will and my advanced medical directive, the deeds to my farm and other land, and my wishes to be an organ donor.Insurance policies, bank info etc etc....

While we are still able to do this, is the best time to get it done.

I wrote my husband's Obit. Now is the time to make sure what you want your obit to state.

You don't have to let a funeral director do it.

And make sure, if you want a Military funeral that you contact the AL or any vet org that can get a Color Guard and bullets, uniforms ready, etc contact them right away...that is make sure your survivors do.

Even if the VA Cemetery says they will do that, double check on it.

I am at peace knowing I have made this easier for my daughter when the time comes.

Every vet needs to have www.hadit.com well noted in their death files!

If I am not here anymore at some point, everything I know about DIC will live here in Infamy.

The only major changes in DIC were for those survivors falling under the 2010 Nehmer decision.

And of course they might hsve different DIC forms at some point.