VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

My First Payment Is Way Larger Than What It Should Be

schmitty918

Question

I got my first payment for VA disability a few days ago. I little over 14,000. While that is great an all, I searched around and I found my approval letter on ebennifits and I was approved for 50%(around $850 a month) starting December 1st, 2014. The math doesn't make any sense. Can someone please explain this to me? At first I was thinking it was the last installment of my enlistment bonus, but I'm pretty sure that money comes from a the Army, not the VA and I was discharged early so I wasn't expecting that anyway.

14 answers to this question

Seems pretty high to me as well unless you have dependents which gives you extra for spouse and per each child. It also depends when you first started your claim. I got extra money as well cause I assumed. The treasury department did come back and wanted to take all my compensation until it was all paid back. I would stick to your math and put rest into some kind of savings acct to at least make interest on it and when va wants it back you have it to give it back immediately. I would not have a clue on who to ask if payments are correct or not. At least you got more than anyone on here that is fighting for years for more that they deserved. And yes Army pay and VA pay it totally different!

You never stated when you filed your claim .Dec.1 2014 date you describe is not your but represents the last date of cost of living adjustment. Date you filed claim and date claim is awarded. That's what you're being paid.

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, that's my biggest problem is that there isn't an itemized breakdown of their payments anywhere. I probably will throw the extra in my savings account. When I did the math that amount would come out to be about 1 year and 4 months backpay instead of 4 like it should be. Don't know if that means it could be a typing error on their part. @Pete53 can you direct me exactly where to go to get that accounting?

My VA social workers come visit me at home every Monday so they might be able to help me.

Also is severance pay maybe something to take into account? I got out and recieved the disability about the same time.

schmitty918,

When were you discharged?

When did you file your claim?

The reason I ask is if you filed a claim within 12 months of your discharge date, the effective date of your claim would be the date of your discharge. It is common for the VA to put the date of the last COLA (Cost if Living Increase) on the award notice and December 1, 2014 would be the date of our last COLA and not the effective date of your award. If this was the case and you were discharged about 16 or 17 months ago, your retro could be around $14,000.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

GP

You should just chill out until you get the benefit letter. Ebenefits is notoriously unreliable. In the mean time, put the money in savings, like you suggested, and keep the interest if you have to give it back. You should know when you get the letter.

Edited by broncovet (see edit history)

If you got severance pay then the VA will withhold all your pay until the severance pay is paid back minus any taxes they took out. It happened to me. When I got medically discharged they gave me 21,000. But 5,000.00 was taken out in federal taxes. VA sent me a letter stating they noticed I got a severance check from the military for 21,000.00. So they were going to withhold all my monthly checks until the 21,000 was recouped. Told them they took out 5,000.00 in taxes so VA adjusted it and said they will withhold my monthly checks until the 15,000 was recouped. I was only rated at 20% at the time so it took almost 6 years before I started getting my monthly disability checks. That's just what happened to me though back in 1998. I don't know about the COLA thing though, except for the drink cola, ha ha ha

I agree with GP & broncovet! good advise!

saints13

COLA means ''Cost of living Adjustment''

........Buck.

Definetly,put the money in savings.If there's any payback at least you will have it if there's a mistake.Goodluck.

Take the money and run, we give billions to countries that hate us every year.. What is a little over payment to a US veteran?

Funny, seriously pretty funny.

I would keep it in the bank. If there is an error and when they realize there is an error, they will be quick to point and shoot and collect. JMO, if it were me, I would suggest going through the decision and the dates and make an educated guess as to what you should have gotten and then go with that. Anything in excess, keep it in a separate account. Contact the VA and make sure you make reasonable, traceable attempts to correct the mistake. If they fail to contact you, look up to see if there are any statute of limitations. Heck the IRS can go back 10 years on back taxes. I don't think the VA is any different.

Unless the worm has turned, Retro Check gets deposited about week before actual award envelope arrives. More is always better and not to many Vets (myself included) are accurate in determining here on the nose retro $$. So that leaves you with the old "Gift Horsesw Mouth," don't look in to it. If and when the VA realizes an error, you';ll be one of the 1st to know, right after they snatch the over-payment out of your Direct Deposit Account. Of course you could transfer the $14K to another account at the same or different Bank. Then you would know of the error when you don't get your monthly comp deposit.

What did you compute as to what your Retro should have been?? Will be interesting to see how far off you were.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• Like 1

Absolutely arng11,the VA is no differant then the IRS.Many years ago I owed the VA over $1200 in co pays.They took my federal tax return.It was my responsibility to pay,so I really can't blame them.