VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gw Memory Loss Rating Question

Rate this question

gwvet90

Question

got copy of husbands C&P exams today.

1 of his c&p exams - diagnosis says "loss of memory, of unknown etiology. This may also be due to the Gulf War Syndrome "

Does that meet their "as likly as not" standard for S/C?

If so how would this be rated?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
got copy of husbands C&P exams today.

1 of his c&p exams - diagnosis says "loss of memory, of unknown etiology. This may also be due to the Gulf War Syndrome "

Does that meet their "as likly as not" standard for S/C?

If so how would this be rated?

I would say it's too vague. It's worth getting an IMO on. Should the VA diagnose the cause, they may not pay, since they only pay for undiagnosed GWS conditions. That's how they get out of paying. jmo

pr

Loss of memory can result from head trauma or some kind of physical illness. My husband is rated for organic mental syndrome, that includes memory problems, resulting from an illness.

He was tested several times to learn the extent of his memory loss, and how the illness impacted his ability to learn.

Has you husband undergone any kind of psychological/psychiatric testing in this regard?

GW claims are hard. The C&P statements are to vague. The etology part is ok as you want the unknown word used. However, the word "maybe" is not good enough for a service connection. Maybe is the same as the doc saying I really do not know when it started. So to answer your question I am sorry but it is not the same as "at least as likey". Sorry. As has already been stated you are going to need an IMO and it needs to be from a neurologist. If from a private neurologist and the C&P was conducted by Dr/NP Wacky then you will at least stand a good chance for success at the BVA level. Keep in mind though that a recent IOM study provided that GWS does not exist so the claims will become even harder than they were before. JMHO

Ricky

Memory loss and cognative deficits are one of the more common problems GW vet's are being diagnosed with.

But as stated, GW syndrome does not officially exsist.

The statement made probably won't be enough to link it to service, but if there are records to indicate he has been complaining of it for some time or himself and/or others can state that the problem has been there since GW service it might be enough to link to service.

And, as stated, a diagnoses will almost destroy chances for service connection unless the diagnosed condition can directly be linked. Many GW vets are losing thier SC ratings after being diagnosed with conditions such as fibromialgia.

I suggest a full battery of neuro-psychological testing. While I am service connected for my memory/cognative deficits, I had a head injury during GW service. However, no one has been able to explain why my problems are progressing and getting worse. It simply does not happen to this degree with head injury.

I'm not a scientist, but I feel that the memory problems are the one common thread that proves GW syndrome and in time will be hard to disprove. I lean towards nerve gas or DU causing neurological problems.

Time