VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Be Reduced After Having Cervical Fusion?

Rate this question

Inthewind

Question

I searched but found noting specific, so please bear with me.

I was found 100% P&T in 2012. I have since been in a vehicle collision where I was rear ended and it exacerbated my pain and neurological symptoms. If I go have a fusion, does anyone know if I can be reduced for the part of my rating related to my cervical spine and radiculopathy? I imagine most 100% P&T's aren't frequently subject to review, so its not like its a red flag, however I'm concerned that after such a surgery it may be used subjectively by the VA and bring me grief in the future. Trust me, I want to feel better at any cost but thats not what this is about.

My ratings that I am concerned could potentially effected are the radiculopathy associated with degenerative arthritis of cervical spine (20%) and degenerative arthritis of the cervical spine and IVDS (20%).

My total rating breakout is:

PTSD - 70%

Bilateral Pes Planus - 30%

Asthma - 30%

Radiculopathy of upper extremity associated with degenerative arthritis of c-spine: 20%

Degenerative arthritis of c-spine: 20%

Lumbar spine degenerative arthritis: 20%

Right knee strain: 10%

DJD left knee: 10%

Tinnitus: 10%

GERD: 10%

Shambergs Syndrome: 10%

These surgeries do not have guaranteed outcomes as we all know and even after that, a 3 to 4 level fusion is still considered a significant decrease in quality of life.

Any knowledge that can be shared would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

what are you looking to gain out of this a back surgery, it is never a guarantee of success mostly

failure. If you don't need it leave it alone. I had two still no better. If you can do without it do that.

IF your range of motion get better after surgery than yes it can get reduce but will it raise it if it don't get better

probably not jmho

Edited by RUREADY

I'm not looking to gain an increase as I'm already 100% P&T. And this surgery will, if anything, decrease my ROM because I need 4-5, 5-6, and 6-7. Flexion and extension become minimal at best with that type of fusion. I'm looking to get a decrease in pain and pain medication dependance.

Thanks

I'm looking to get a decrease in pain and pain medication dependance.

With that type surgery all I can say is good luck with that. I had L-5

S-1 fuse 2003 still in pain today. Everyone is different. Good luck with

yours.

Edited by RUREADY