VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• 2023-foeum-banner.jpg

• red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

Ask Your VA Claims QuestionThe LatestVeterans Crisis Line

red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

• Get Your HadIt.com Merch! Check them out here2022-11-16_06-22-29.png

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Older Vietnam Veterans

It may just be me but sometimes I feel us older Vietnam Veterans take a back seat at the VAMC's..seems that way to me anyhow!

..............Buck!

My primary VA doc is my/our age- I don't have any complaints, fortunately. Previous one was a little younger, female. issues with her

On a side note- Viet Vets can check out http://www.popasmoke.com Marine Corps Combat Helicopter Association website. While expectedly Marine Corps helo oriented the vision section has over 10,000 pictures (mostly Vietnam) available for free download.

• Like 2

I don't really have any complaints against my PCP & she young mid 30's I guess... its the other specialty clinics the appointments and long wait times ect,,ect,,and the care seems not all that great just mediocre ..its like they discriminate against age. I can check in 30 minutes before my appointment time and others will check in that has appointments at a later time and seems I am always the last to be seen...and most of us are using the same Dr. I just happen to be older eh! just seems that way to me and it is getting worse but I am not the type to get anyone in trouble. so I just gripe & bitch about it... ....................Buck!

Thanks Slick!

Popasmoke is an excellent web site. I referred one or two vets here to their reunion roster over the years because they needed buddy statements.

Their photos are fabulous,too, I used some info from their web site for a thesis I did on the Vietnam War.for college..

Most Marines wounded in Vietnam got to a mash unit of some sort, often within 20 minutes after the smoke was popped.

As the site states:
"When a Marine in Vietnam is wounded, surrounded, hungry, low on ammunition or water, he looks to the sky. He knows the choppers are coming..."
Leonard F. Chapman General, USMC

• Like 2

I Am Not a US Marine Just US Army Special Troops but I have the most high respects for all my Armed forces Brothers.

I thought this might help some US Army Vets as for as getting buddy statements.

http://www.military.com/Registration/Army

................Buck!

• Like 1

Berta,

sorry to bother you ...just a minute of your time

Question?

My spouse is on ChampVA...She is in the process of getting a supplemental insurance recommended by ChampVA called ''Selman'' supplemental .....thay said we have to join a Military Group Called ''AMRA'' (American Military Retired Association) to qualify.

WE have to put my name and a letter that states I am a 100% P&T Disable Veteran and my wifes name and social

and send in with the Application.

The membership is 25.00 a year....they said we have to have this membership to get the supplemental?

Have you ever heard of them? or such a thing? or familiar with it or this type of issue?

My spouse is excited to get the supplemental so she can start seeing private Dr's for specialites like her Back & Neck and Bad Hips &some other important medical problems ....she is happy about getting out of the VA.

Thanks Buck52

Ain't that the truth pete53!

Well,

Does anyone know about the supplemental Insurance (Selman) and the membership with American Military Retired Assocation (AMRA) to join to be a member & be able to qualify?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

................Buck!

...............ANYBODY KNOW????????????

Thanks Slick!

Popasmoke is an excellent web site. I referred one or two vets here to their reunion roster over the years because they needed buddy statements.

Their photos are fabulous,too, I used some info from their web site for a thesis I did on the Vietnam War.for college..

Most Marines wounded in Vietnam got to a mash unit of some sort, often within 20 minutes after the smoke was popped.

As the site states:

"When a Marine in Vietnam is wounded, surrounded, hungry, low on ammunition or water, he looks to the sky. He knows the choppers are coming..."

Leonard F. Chapman General, USMC

Berta,

did you happen to notice who the current president of POPASMOKE is?

Edited by Slick (see edit history)

I think Slick Katz is still their president:

http://www.popasmoke.com/presidents

(Is that You?)

Sorry I missed this before Buck.

I am a member of AMRA , as widow of a SC vet.

But I dont have a clue on this supplement.It is discussed here

Maybe I should start reading my AMRA mail.

• Like 1

Buck

My wife is on Champva. IMHO you probably dont need a "supplement", because Champva insurance could be the best insurance I have seen. Its a very low deductable, very low copay. My wife is also on Medicare, but I dont know that that matters much. Its my opinion that my wife's Champva is MUCH better than the "insurance" I have which is just VA. Why? Because my wife can/does go to private docs OR she can go to the VA with me. She goes to VA mostly if she needs a prescription as that will be free, but it would not with champva.

You could get a champva supplement if you like, but my experience is that it is not necessary (especially on medicare). My wife pays her own medical bills, so I can not give you the exact number, but I am almost certain we pay less than $200 per year for her entire care, and prescriptions. My guess is that a supplement, even if it paid EVERY cent of that, would cost more than $200 per year. It does not make sense to me paying $300 or more per year to get $200 per year worth of insurance.

Years ago, I was an insurance agent. It really is true there are some people obsessed with insurance who have more than needed. At least one customer said she was "insurance poor". While agents love these kinds of customers, if they did not need any more insurance, I told them so.

You see, insurance is specifically designed for you "NOT" to make a profit on it. In other words, if you had 5 auto insurance policies on a car that was worth $10,000, how much do you think you would get if you totaled that car? $50,000? No. You would still get $10,000 minus the deductable. That's it. It does not help you to have additional unnecessary insurance. Now, if you do have lots of assets, then you should "cover" those, by increasing your liablility limits. If you had $500,000 worth of homes, cars, bank accounts etc, then you should probably have $500,000 liability on your autos because if, you did get into an accident, you need to protect your assets. Its not about how much your car is worth..its because, if you broke someones neck, you could easily be sued for 500,000 or more.

Buck: Signed my wife up for CHAMPVA about 10/14 and didn't really do any follow-up. At that time she had Medicare A & B (Which is required for CHAMPVA). With in past couple mos she had some major out of pocket expenses for Meds that her AARP/United Health care Prescription Drug plan didn't cover. Thought it was about time to foolowup on her CHAMPVA App. Called CHAMPVA Customer Service 800-733-8387 and got confirmation that she's rated CHAMPVA for Life and everything medical including Prescriptions are covered back to 2011. The rep said she'd be getting her ID in near future but she had till 11/15 to turn is reimbursement request for all co-pays and other out of pocket Medical and Prescription Drug expenses. The Rep said that she only needed the Medicare A & B coverage to qualify, she did not need the AARP Part B Supplemental through United Health Care.

I think I'll wait to see how the ChampVA works before I reduce her AARP Sup INS Policy. I've been paying about $149 per mos for no copays on Hosp & office calls plus the prescription drug with co-pay plan.

On another post I mentioned a Nam Vet friend that decided it was now time (recent emergency hospital stay) to get Medicare Part B so he could get non VA Hospital treatment (non emergency). Talked to him yesterday, Medicare charged him a $400 penalty for not signing up back in 12. He's decided on the AARP $155.00 per mos plan so no deductibles for anything. He loves the VA but now that his life is on the line, he agrees with me that we want the "Pros from Dover." Don;t get me wrong, VA Dr have been great. However, if my life is on the line, I want the Dr and Surgeon that has the most knowledge and experience treating and or cutting on me. Less chance of an oops.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

As we get older we become less important to VA.

Also add "or don't speak up when the VA railroads us"

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone!

Thank you Ms Berta if your a member of AMRA that's good enough for us!

I just had to sign up to be a member so my wife could get the Selman supplemental Ins.

My wife is just 60 years young so she don't qualify for Medicare, she is not on SSDI she still works...but her health is bad, (Bad Back degenerative disease) and has osteoporosis pretty bad...Fibro, Heart Disease, HBP ect,,ect,, just to mention a few...she is going to retire this year and get on SSDI as her VA -PCP suggested.

We both use the VA before they cut back on the spouse's , she still has a PCP at the VA and gets some of her meds there , But we needed the supplement to cover the 25% that ChampVa don't cover.

Some private Dr's wants to do there own MRI'S and other test, although we have CD of the VA's MRI'S -X-Ray's, but there over 2 years old and so the private Doc's want to do new ones (which at the Present time the VA refuses to do them)

We have the 50.00 deuct from champVA and 200 deduct from the supplemental so 250.00 a year out of pocket for full health insurance coverage is not to bad, now that were both getting older, hopefully that's enough health coverage for my wife,,,as for as me I only use the VA for all my health care....What Health Care they give me! eh!

Thank Everyone We Both Appreciate it.

...................Buck!

BTW, the meds, in she signs up for Meds by Mail ,under CHAMPVA are free.

Glenn Johnson, Head of CHAMPVA VA, has done many radio shows here and always gives out his phone number if needed by anyone, on the shows..

• Like 1

I think Slick Katz is still their president:

http://www.popasmoke.com/presidents

(Is that You?)

Sorry I missed this before Buck.

I am a member of AMRA , as widow of a SC vet.

But I dont have a clue on this supplement.It is discussed here

Maybe I should start reading my AMRA mail.

That be me

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco it does matter to have Medicare with ChampVA because it limits what you can be charged by regulation to what Medicare and ChampVA pay unless you have a limited copay