VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Amputation Factor

Rate this question

diver

Question

Ok I have been searching and I still have questions. I am already rated for my left knee 10% chrondromalacia 10% extension and 10% instability. My left ankle is 10% sprain residuals. For my right knee I have 10% chrondromalacia and 10% extension. My right ankle is rated at 20% sprain residuals. My question is that I have requested an increase for chrondromalacia and extension of both knees. I am hoping for an increase to 20% for each. Do they add the ankles and knees to calculate the amputation factor and is it possible for me to get the increases that I am looking for.

Thank you for your help

Diver

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm fairly sure you cannot get rated for more than what an amputation would be. So if the amputation is rated at 60%, you could not receive a rating, totaling higher than 60%, for any problems below where the amputation is. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

pr

Well looking at it. If I can be rated up to 60% then 60% must be the max for it. So I guess I can get 20% more per knee and that would put me at the max. Unless they use their strange math then I can get much more.

Does anyone know if the VA just adds up the disability on the leg for the amputation factor or do they do the VA math to calculate it. And also do they include the hips as part of the leg amputation factor?

Edited by diver

It looks like the amputation factor for the leg is 40% below the knee. 60% at the lower thigh and up to 90% for the hip joint. The only thing I do not know is if the VA calculates the % by adding the findings up or if they do the VA math to calculate it. If anyone can answer this part of it please let me know.

Thanks diver