VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Va Opened A Request For Increase For A Condition Already At Max %

justrluk

Question

Now I'm really puzzled. I'm almost finished with the items in the remand order for my appeal, and suddenly (today) a new claim - request for increase - pops up for a condition already rated the maximum. Doesn't say "Administrative Review", but request for increase. I know they can review any condition at any time, but really don't understand why they would pick this condition now. Any thoughts???

EDIT: The claim is dated 2/27/2015. Not dated anywhere near another anniversary event, appeal activity, nada... 6 years, 7 months since the date of increase to max % for this condition.

Edited by justrluk (see edit history)

9 answers to this question

I'm rated at 70% for another condition. I'm wondering if either they thought the condition should have been increased earlier or if it is the periodic review of the rating itself. Who knows!

Update: I contacted the VAMC where the C&P is scheduled. The person working/scheduling confirmed it was a claim for increase. When I told her I was already @ max for the condition, she said it was definitely a re-evaluation. NOW, I'm nervous! Also, it was to be scheduled ASAP, so I go Saturday (this Saturday) at 0830. Geez - won't be able to get neurologist records by then to present/discuss while at the C&P.

This happened to me bud, I submitted an FDC in Nov 14 for a few previously denied conditions and a few new Secondarys. Claim was at Prep for Decision from Dec-Jan 14. Then all of a sudden in Feb in went back to Gathering of Evidence and the RO scheduled multiple C&Ps and a few Reviews including my PTSD which I was not up for Review until Feb 2016. Those Review exams were brutal especially the PTSD review which was over 2 hours long. It ended up backfiring on the VA though, all of my conditions will continue and a few look to even be increased. Just go in there and be honest, and you have nothing to worry about. Good luck and God Bless!!! Keep us posted

• HadIt.com Elder

The last line of your rating is SMC for loss of reproductive organ. It sounds a little like your getting 100% compensation plus Special Monthly Compensation for a service connected condition rated 60%. If you go scrolling down the list of topics on this forum you'll find one on Bradley v. Peake and Howell v. Nicholson involving housebound benefits. I suggest you read that topic and read Howell v. Nicholson carefully.

Update: saw the C&P results in my healtEVet file pull. The doc answered the question:
Does the Veteran's treatment plan include taking medication for the diagnosed condition?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe treatment (list only those medications used for the diagnosed condition):
see above
3. Symptoms
-----------
a. Does the Veteran experience headache pain?
[X] Yes [ ] No
[X] Pulsating or throbbing head pain
[X] Pain localized to one side of the head
[X] Pain worsens with physical activity
[X] Other, describe:
(description...)
b. Does the Veteran experience non-headache symptoms associated with headaches? (including symptoms associated with an aura prior to headache
pain)
[X] Yes [ ] No
[X] Nausea
[X] Sensitivity to light
[X] Sensitivity to sound
[X] Changes in vision (such as scotoma, flashes of light, tunnel vision)
[X] Sensory changes (such as feeling of pins and needles in extremities)
c. Indicate duration of typical head pain
[X] More than 2 days
d. Indicate location of typical head pain
[X] Right side of head
[X] Other, describe:
(redacted)
4. Prostrating attacks of headache pain
---------------------------------------
a. Migraine / Non-Migraine- Does the Veteran have characteristic prostrating attacks of migraine / non-migraine headache pain?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, indicate frequency, on average, of prostrating attacks over the last several months:
[X] Once every month
b. Does the Veteran have very prostrating and prolonged attacks of migraines/non-migraine pain productive of severe economic inadaptability?
[ ] Yes [X] No
5. Other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs and/or symptoms
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
a. Does the Veteran have any scars (surgical or otherwise) related to any conditions or to the treatment of any conditions listed in the Diagnosis section above?
[ ] Yes [X] No
b. Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs and/or symptoms related to any conditions listed in the Diagnosis section above?
[ ] Yes [X] No
6. Diagnostic testing
---------------------
Are there any other significant diagnostic test findings and/or results?
[ ] Yes [X] No

7. Functional impact
--------------------
Does the Veteran's headache condition impact his or her ability to work?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe the impact of the Veteran's headache condition, providing one or more examples:
see history above
8. Remarks, if any:
-------------------
No remarks provided.
(dr. signature)

My concern is the response to the statement:
"4. Prostrating attacks of headache pain:
b. Does the Veteran have very prostrating and prolonged attacks of migraines/non-migraine pain productive of severe economic inadaptability?
[ ] Yes [X] No"

while adding:
"Does the Veteran's headache condition impact his or her ability to work?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe the impact of the Veteran's headache condition, providing one or more examples: (described in detail while providing data regarding the number of days missed due to migraine or migraine impact)."

Now, I'm waiting for the proposal to reduce the rating from 50% (max) because of the answer provided for 4.b. Great. Just what I needed...

Update: saw the C&P results in my healtEVet file pull. The doc answered the question:

Does the Veteran's treatment plan include taking medication for the diagnosed condition?

[X] Yes [ ] No

If yes, describe treatment (list only those medications used for the diagnosed condition):

see above

3. Symptoms

-----------

a. Does the Veteran experience headache pain?

[X] Yes [ ] No

[X] Pulsating or throbbing head pain

[X] Pain localized to one side of the head

[X] Pain worsens with physical activity

[X] Other, describe:

(description...)

b. Does the Veteran experience non-headache symptoms associated with headaches? (including symptoms associated with an aura prior to headache

pain)

[X] Yes [ ] No

[X] Nausea

[X] Sensitivity to light

[X] Sensitivity to sound

[X] Changes in vision (such as scotoma, flashes of light, tunnel vision)

[X] Sensory changes (such as feeling of pins and needles in extremities)

c. Indicate duration of typical head pain

[X] More than 2 days

d. Indicate location of typical head pain

[X] Right side of head

[X] Other, describe:

(redacted)

4. Prostrating attacks of headache pain

---------------------------------------

a. Migraine / Non-Migraine- Does the Veteran have characteristic prostrating attacks of migraine / non-migraine headache pain?

[X] Yes [ ] No

If yes, indicate frequency, on average, of prostrating attacks over the last several months:

[X] Once every month

[ ] Yes [X] No

5. Other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs and/or symptoms

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

a. Does the Veteran have any scars (surgical or otherwise) related to any conditions or to the treatment of any conditions listed in the Diagnosis section above?

[ ] Yes [X] No

b. Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs and/or symptoms related to any conditions listed in the Diagnosis section above?

[ ] Yes [X] No

6. Diagnostic testing

---------------------

Are there any other significant diagnostic test findings and/or results?

[ ] Yes [X] No

7. Functional impact

--------------------

Does the Veteran's headache condition impact his or her ability to work?

[X] Yes [ ] No

If yes, describe the impact of the Veteran's headache condition, providing one or more examples:

see history above

8. Remarks, if any:

-------------------

No remarks provided.

(dr. signature)

My concern is the response to the statement:

"4. Prostrating attacks of headache pain:

[ ] Yes [X] No"

while adding:

"Does the Veteran's headache condition impact his or her ability to work?

[X] Yes [ ] No

If yes, describe the impact of the Veteran's headache condition, providing one or more examples: (described in detail while providing data regarding the number of days missed due to migraine or migraine impact)."

Now, I'm waiting for the proposal to reduce the rating from 50% (max) because of the answer provided for 4.b. Great. Just what I needed...

The Crazy one here, sorry just took my first round of meds so my brain is really off.

Be proactive, contact the C & P Office to give a message to the C & P examiner to do an addendum or a correction and state that he should have checked yes in block 4b.

Like I said I maybe off but without some type of remark provided the exam is not complete but the rater may make a decision.

Edited by pete992 (see edit history)
  • Like 1