VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

I'm Not Sure What My Psych Dr. Is Trying To Do.

coastie72

Question

All of a sudden my Dr. wants me to have blood work and mentioned depression and Low T. My prescriber called to ask me about my Dr's URGENT request? I told him what I know and that he mentioned my fatigue, lack of energy and depression could be from Low T.

Is this some sort of attempt to discredit my MDD/PTSD rating. Sorry but I don't trust hardly anyone.

That is something else he gives me grief over and says he doesn't understand why I don't trust people?

He keeps threatening to put me in the hospital over suicidal tendencies, I do have them and sometimes strong.

However I tell the truth, my wife is the reason that won't happen. I'm struggling at work, but still working. If I could figure a

way I would retire tomorrow.

Has anyone ever had this test for issues like mine?

Worried as usual.

Coastie72

17 answers to this question

coastie,

Remember the old saying, "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask." Your question is not dumb. Low testosterone (Hypogonadism) can cause fatigue, lack of energy, low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, mood changes, depression, increase in body fat, loss of muscle mass, erectile dysfunction, etc. If you have Hypogonadism, it can be treated.

You may have mentioned some of these symptoms to your doctor and he is probably concerned about what is causing the symptoms. I might be wrong but I don't think this is an attempt to discredit your MDD/PTSD.

Take care my friend.

GP

• Like 1

It could also be an indication of a pituitary/adrenal issue. That's not to say that you can't suffer from both PTSD and an adrenal disease, one does not preclude the other.

• Like 1

• HadIt.com Elder

My take is that a lot of these so called emergency lab tests are to cover their ass for not doing it on the VA schedule.

Thank you for your responses.............So I read the notes on my phone conversations with my Psychologist and Psychiatrist, in both they paint a much rosier picture than how our conversations went.

I have spent all my life being a believer in being honest and truthful..........So if I say I am doing about as well as I was when I first started seeing you, that to them says I am doing really well and have no current complaints with my medicine???????????

It is so hard for me to understand if they are really trying to help me or not.

When I see all the twisted notes about me it just adds to my anxiety and stress. Suicidal Ideation has been from the beginning for me unfortunately at times overwhelming.

I say to them that it is my wife and kids that keeps me from doing it.........That don't mean I won't have a week moment, I have had many close calls and told them.

They prefer to write veteran has suicidal thoughts but WILL NOT follow through because of his care for his wife. I wish I felt that strongly about that!!!!!!

I can't help how I feel, I don't want to feel like I do, but I swear I don't think they believe me.

They have done nothing to build any trust with me.

My boss is not liking the frequent visits that I am having to make, and I am in fear of that. From early on I was supposed to be set up with evening visits, that has never happened. The Vet Center will not see me because I am not a combat vet??? Life is just too much of a struggle and the VA makes it worse in my situation.

So should I start lying ??? Telling them each visit that I have had no improvement at all and I am worse in every way???? I can't do that so I am just screwed.

• Like 1

If your employer has at least 50 employees at your location, and you are full-time, have been employed for at least 12 months and have worked at least 1,250 hours within those 12 months, file for Family Medical Leave (FML) with your Human Resouces Dept. That entitles you to a maximum of 12 weeks of leave within any 12 month period to treat a chronic serious health condition, which would include your VA doctor visits. Those would be covered under intermittent FML. Any leave of three or more consecutive days would be covered under continuous FML. There are forms involved that your doctor must complete. This is a Federal law.

My husband was covered under intermittent FML to protect him from losing his job due to his frequent VA appointments back when he was still able to work.

• Like 1

Coastie72, I'm reading and re-reading your last post, and to me it doesn't sound like you'd be lying about having no improvement at all. You sound conflicted; what I'm hearing you say bounces from one extreme to the opposite other extreme. You don't sound like you are benefitting from your treatment so far, so is it really a lie to tell them so?

• Like 1

If your employer has at least 50 employees at your location, and you are full-time, have been employed for at least 12 months and have worked at least 1,250 hours within those 12 months, file for Family Medical Leave (FML) with your Human Resouces Dept. That entitles you to a maximum of 12 weeks of leave within any 12 month period to treat a chronic serious health condition, which would include your VA doctor visits. Those would be covered under intermittent FML. Any leave of three or more consecutive days would be covered under continuous FML. There are forms involved that your doctor must complete. This is a Federal law.

My husband was covered under intermittent FML to protect him from losing his job due to his frequent VA appointments back when he was still able to work.

Coastie72, I'm reading and re-reading your last post, and to me it doesn't sound like you'd be lying about having no improvement at all. You sound conflicted; what I'm hearing you say bounces from one extreme to the opposite other extreme. You don't sound like you are benefitting from your treatment so far, so is it really a lie to tell them so?

lotzaspotz thank you for the information.

I am aware of the FML act and have known many people that have used it.

A close friend of mine used it while fighting cancer just last year. We are the same age 64 and do basically the same job for different companies.

He was allowed to come back to work only to find they had set unrealistic quota's for him, changed his daily work routine. This lasted for about three months of being beat up by management from corporate for not meeting their expectations. They suggested that he might start looking for other work which he did. He did find another job with less stress and a lot less money. Fortunately for him his financial situation is much better than mine.

The point here is, I too for many years was a hiring and firing manager. I treated everyone fairly, but I had managers over me as well. As soon as they find out the job can get done for a lesser salary, guess what?

That's not such a big deal at 44 or even 54, at 64 its a totally different situation.

As far as being helped from treatment, the medication has helped ever so slightly. I try to be a nice guy to everyone and say, yes it's helped a little et. When I do with the VA, they just blow that all up.

The fact is I still get awakened nearly every night by dreams from 1971........when I do, I struggle to get back to sleep because the screaming tinnitus. I have panic attacks way less than I once did but I've fought them since the 70's. My Personal Dr. coached me many years ago on how to recognize the feeling and basically talk myself out of them. That helped me tremendously, but they do still jump on me at least once a week. I have pent up anger that I don't understand, some days I lash out at my wife for no reason or either something so stupid. I struggle all the time from this damn tinnitus that never ends, it is depressing and I feel like a banjo string all the time. Work is extremely stressful, but it really shouldn't be. I almost never have a day without suicidal thoughts...I can be laughing one minute and looking at an opportunity the next. Some days are much worse than others. I don't deal with any conflict well at all anymore. I use to be an ace at it. Calm as a cucumber under pressure....No more.

The only time I feel any peace and my Dr. scratched his head when I said this, is when I am around my immediate family.

They say that my problems are financial because I say I can't afford to retire..........I suppose that is true. They however want me to believe that this is the reason for most of my depression. It certainly helps, but it is not the reason....If my mind was working as it should I would not be wanting to retire.

Messed up and I keep seeing one way out.

Others here can speak to your PTSD situation better than I can. However, I'm going to address this from a strictly business point of view, as I'm an HR rep where I work. I am not a mental health professional, nor am I an attorney.

Your disability situation will eventually cost you your job, and more importantly your life, if you don't find immediate relief from your symptoms. Immediate relief would be facilitated, not totally accomplished, through your utilizing your rights under the federally mandated FMLA because you need to take time to find appropriate treatment. Appropriate treatment starts with your telling your doctor what you've told us here.

Your friend, it appears, may have been constructively discharged in retaliation for utilizing his rights to FML, which is illegal. Yes, the employer has a right to change job duties, but the degree and the time line there is very suspicious, along with the eagerness they showed in suggesting he find other employment after he returned from FML. The fact that he successfully did so is irrelevant, because the focus is on the offense having been committed in the first place. Moves like this often come at the loss of wages, insurance coverage either temporarly or permanently, 401k vesting, etc. If he was replaced by someone under 40 years of age, that would possibly add age discrimination to the list. If this occurred within the last 180 days, he should contact the EEOC, because this kind of thing has got to be challenged anytime it happens.

If that is what you think will happen to you, then I respectfully suggest that it is better to be fired for having utilized your FML rights than being fired as an outcome of your untreated PTSD symptoms. At least you would have some legal recourse available to you, then file for TDIU and SSD. I'm near your age so I understand your concerns about finding another job, which truthfully, appears you should not be doing, at least in the kind of environment you're in.

Have you asked your doctor if there might be some reasonable accommodations that may help you better cope at work? If you are familiar with the ADA regarding accommodation requests for disabilities at work, take whatever suggestions your doctor gives you and ask your employer to accommodate you. If you fear retaliation for that, as well, then I cannot think of any other means of protection for you. Your doing nothing to protect yourself and fight your way out of the corner you feel boxed in is only adding to your anxiety.

• Like 1

lotzaspotz,

Thank you for your information. I am going to let it sink in if I can. My VA dr's have been told everything I have said here and more. One has suggested I retire, so I think in reality they have my best interest in mind. I see him again this week and will talk more about it.

Financially I could only retire and give up most of the few thing that I still get enjoyment from.

He has also suggested and I have been looking at some possibility's of quitting my current job and taking one that is STRESS FREE. I have been trying to figure out if I could make that work.

I have worked hard all my life to have what my wife and I have and I am not willing to step very far backwards. We do not live a extravagant lifestyle. She is medically retired and has been since 1998.

I honestly thank you for your concern.

• Like 1

"Tests" are a tool the doc uses. They are not doing a good job if they dont use the tools, just like a carpenter would not be much good without his tools. "Tests" are a diagnostic tool.

Sometimes, they want to "rule out" things. You have indicated Suicidal ideations, and he is taking that seriously. He may want to know, for sure, if you are trying to hide some sort of drug addiction, that these tests may reveal. Or, they may reveal things like iron deficiencies, selenium deficiency, or, as you pointed out Low T. There are many other things the tests reveal, so be glad your doc ordered them.

Yes, I understand not trusting the doc, and not trusting VA. You are preaching to the choir, here. Still, remember, you dont want to be put in a group with, say, "all white people" because Charles Manson was white, so you must be a serial murderer also. So, give your doc the benefit of the doubt and let him treat you..until you know he is out trying to get you. Then change docs, if that happens. Worry never robs tommorrow of its sorrow, only today of its happiness.

• Like 2

Thank you all for you words of wisdom.........lotzaspotz you are right, "What you choose to exchange for your peace of mind is an important decision," and I am trying to work through all of that now. I am going to do whatever this Dr wants or suggests. I really don't have any choice I have to be here for my wife, I want to be here for my wife.

The only other thing I ask of those that will is to keep me in your prayers.

• Like 1

You will be in our prayers coastie.

Take care of yourself.

GP