VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Compensation & Pension Exams

Rate this question

fatheryabueloDE9

Question

Hello fellow Veterans,

I am pretty new to Hadit or any forum helping vets.

Recently, I received and read my C & P report.

Two weeks before exam, the VA notified me my FDC is now a regular claim.

I know my wait may be lo-o-oog.

Btw, I am a Vietnam vet who waited over 40 years to seek VA help

I am unclear as to how the VA"s Raters might determine a rating.

Also, I do not know if the VA Rating will use one or two disabilities.

Question: Based on the data below, any educated guesstimates based on forum observations

or experience with other vets ?

I have both PTSD Combat and MST and do not know if rated separately or are combined

with the VA Psychologist's other Rating factors.(below.)

Below "other..." is the VA Psychologist's Opinion,

Other relevant C & P data:

My Diagnosis, 1. PTSD, 2 Alcohol Use Disorder,

PTSD "stressor" experiences were both Combat and MST in 1968-69.

The C & P VA Psychologist's report section 4. Occupational and Social Impairment

rates me in the 30% bracket. (with which I do not agree.) The C & P exam was only 1 hour.

(The VA Psychologist Opinion follows below)

Stressors:

1. PTSD Combat,

2. PTSD MST

Initial 2014 CBOC, Mental Health exams report me having PTSD, MDD & anxiety.

C & P Psychologist states for VA Raters:

Depressed Mood,

Anxiety,

Chronic Sleep impairment , &

disturbances of motivation and mood.

TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR

DIRECT SERVICE CONNECTION ]

a. The condition claimed was at least as likely as not

(50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed inservice injury, event or illness.

c. Rationale: To reiterate, the veterans PTSD is MOST

LIKELY related to both his

fear of hostile military and terrorist activity as

well as to MST.

The record MOST LIKELY supports the occurance of MST.

Finally, the veterans symptoms did MOST LIKELY have onset while in

the military.

Opinion is based on clinical experience and research, clinical interview data, DSM5 criteria,

behavioral observation, and supporting service and

medical records

Besides a possible rating of 0-100%, does any Vet or someone have a similar experience

or knowledge of a similar situation?

I'd appreciate any reasonable idea.

Thanks,

Have a good day,

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It's hard to guestimate what your rating will be but 30% or 50% sounds probable. If you are not working you should apply for TDIU now, along with dependents benefits, if you're married or have minor children. I would also add a claim for P&T. I would add a claim for alcoholism/use/abuse, secondary to PTSD, also. It won't get you any more money but could help should you die of something related to the alcohol use/abuse. jmo

If you're interested you can look up M-21, which is basically a step by step guide telling the VA how to rate claims.

pr

I am not sure how they will rate you.A more experienced member on here will help you.But i have a friend who is a vietnam vet,who filed a claim for PTSD and MST after many years,like you are doing and he was awarded 100% P&T PTSD.Good luck with your claim bud,happy to hear you finally seeked helped after 40 years.You will get all the help you need on Hadit,great site with great knowlegable people,hope your well.

It's hard to guestimate what your rating will be but 30% or 50% sounds probable. If you are not working you should apply for TDIU now, along with dependents benefits, if you're married or have minor children. I would also add a claim for P&T. I would add a claim for alcoholism/use/abuse, secondary to PTSD, also. It won't get you any more money but could help should you die of something related to the alcohol use/abuse. jmo

If you're interested you can look up M-21, which is basically a step by step guide telling the VA how to rate claims.

pr

Philip? When i recieved my award for PTSD,the VA said my alcohol abuse,secondary to my PTSD,was willful misconduct.So i don't know if my alcohol abuse played a roll in helping my claim.

pr

pr,

I appreciate your post.

I googled VA, M-21, and it looks really detailed with various updates and sections.

In 2002 (age 54) I applied for SSDI. Four months later I was awarded 100%. Now almost 68. Only work since was 9 month Trial Period Soc. Sec allows. SS reviewed me ( their 5-7 yr review.) SS said I was still 100% or useless :huh:.

I asked SS for a detail report 2 x. Once by phone; told no. About 3-4 months ago, I wrote SS asking; no reply yet.

As far as P & T (TDUI), a year ago when I was doing my FDC, the VSO told me not to worry about it at that point. He said I needed a minimum 60% Disability Rating first.

Would a claim for P & T be done before or after getting the awaited rating?

Thanks for advice.

I am not sure how they will rate you.A more experienced member on here will help you.But i have a friend who is a vietnam vet,who filed a claim for PTSD and MST after many years,like you are doing and he was awarded 100% P&T PTSD.Good luck with your claim bud,happy to hear you finally seeked helped after 40 years.You will get all the help you need on Hadit,great site with great knowlegable people,hope your well.

oiler1995,

Thanks for reply.

Your response and that of others give me hope. However, I know each case is different.

After so many years, any award if any would be welcome. My last real job was in 2002. Since 2002 on SSDI until I turned 65, then "regular retirement benefits".

I believe part of my "keeping a job" problem relates to the MST and authority, etc.

btw, I finished college after Nam, had some good jobs... but many things stayed with me.

I beginning to see how HELPFUL the people, as yourself are very helpful and SUPPORTIVE !

Edited by fatheryabueloDE9

• HadIt.com Elder

fatheryabueloDE9

To qualify for TDIU the VA looks at differently than SS, if your service connection disability's keep you from working and finding Gainful employment, when you apply for TDIU,there suppose to have the duty to assist and rate you at 100% P&T.

Your Medical records should prove this and all your SMR's& C&P Exam , However you can also get a IMO' and add to your C&P if the C&P Dr fails to address all of your contentions & have a private Dr can state in his report/impression that you can't work due to your disability's

It use to be that a veteran had to have a 60%rating but not anymore! if you have no rating at all you can get bump all the way to 100% even if they rate you at 90% they give you 100% rate for the TDIU its a combined rating at 90% but being paid at the 100% rate.

but you need to ask for TDIU first thing!

you can get TDIU P &T AND SSDI at the same time, which makes for a modest income!

Good Luck Buddy!

................................Buck!