VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Compensation & Pension Exams

fatheryabueloDE9

Question

Hello fellow Veterans,

I am pretty new to Hadit or any forum helping vets.

Recently, I received and read my C & P report.

Two weeks before exam, the VA notified me my FDC is now a regular claim.

I know my wait may be lo-o-oog.

Btw, I am a Vietnam vet who waited over 40 years to seek VA help

I am unclear as to how the VA"s Raters might determine a rating.

Also, I do not know if the VA Rating will use one or two disabilities.

Question: Based on the data below, any educated guesstimates based on forum observations

or experience with other vets ?

I have both PTSD Combat and MST and do not know if rated separately or are combined

with the VA Psychologist's other Rating factors.(below.)

Below "other..." is the VA Psychologist's Opinion,

Other relevant C & P data:

My Diagnosis, 1. PTSD, 2 Alcohol Use Disorder,

PTSD "stressor" experiences were both Combat and MST in 1968-69.

The C & P VA Psychologist's report section 4. Occupational and Social Impairment

rates me in the 30% bracket. (with which I do not agree.) The C & P exam was only 1 hour.

(The VA Psychologist Opinion follows below)

Stressors:

1. PTSD Combat,

2. PTSD MST

Initial 2014 CBOC, Mental Health exams report me having PTSD, MDD & anxiety.

C & P Psychologist states for VA Raters:

Depressed Mood,

Anxiety,

Chronic Sleep impairment , &

disturbances of motivation and mood.

TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR

DIRECT SERVICE CONNECTION ]

a. The condition claimed was at least as likely as not

(50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed inservice injury, event or illness.

c. Rationale: To reiterate, the veterans PTSD is MOST

LIKELY related to both his

fear of hostile military and terrorist activity as

well as to MST.

The record MOST LIKELY supports the occurance of MST.

Finally, the veterans symptoms did MOST LIKELY have onset while in

the military.

Opinion is based on clinical experience and research, clinical interview data, DSM5 criteria,

behavioral observation, and supporting service and

medical records

Besides a possible rating of 0-100%, does any Vet or someone have a similar experience

or knowledge of a similar situation?

I'd appreciate any reasonable idea.

Thanks,

Have a good day,

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

13 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It's hard to guestimate what your rating will be but 30% or 50% sounds probable. If you are not working you should apply for TDIU now, along with dependents benefits, if you're married or have minor children. I would also add a claim for P&T. I would add a claim for alcoholism/use/abuse, secondary to PTSD, also. It won't get you any more money but could help should you die of something related to the alcohol use/abuse. jmo

If you're interested you can look up M-21, which is basically a step by step guide telling the VA how to rate claims.

pr

I am not sure how they will rate you.A more experienced member on here will help you.But i have a friend who is a vietnam vet,who filed a claim for PTSD and MST after many years,like you are doing and he was awarded 100% P&T PTSD.Good luck with your claim bud,happy to hear you finally seeked helped after 40 years.You will get all the help you need on Hadit,great site with great knowlegable people,hope your well.

It's hard to guestimate what your rating will be but 30% or 50% sounds probable. If you are not working you should apply for TDIU now, along with dependents benefits, if you're married or have minor children. I would also add a claim for P&T. I would add a claim for alcoholism/use/abuse, secondary to PTSD, also. It won't get you any more money but could help should you die of something related to the alcohol use/abuse. jmo

If you're interested you can look up M-21, which is basically a step by step guide telling the VA how to rate claims.

pr

Philip? When i recieved my award for PTSD,the VA said my alcohol abuse,secondary to my PTSD,was willful misconduct.So i don't know if my alcohol abuse played a roll in helping my claim.

pr

pr,

I appreciate your post.

I googled VA, M-21, and it looks really detailed with various updates and sections.

In 2002 (age 54) I applied for SSDI. Four months later I was awarded 100%. Now almost 68. Only work since was 9 month Trial Period Soc. Sec allows. SS reviewed me ( their 5-7 yr review.) SS said I was still 100% or useless :huh:.

I asked SS for a detail report 2 x. Once by phone; told no. About 3-4 months ago, I wrote SS asking; no reply yet.

As far as P & T (TDUI), a year ago when I was doing my FDC, the VSO told me not to worry about it at that point. He said I needed a minimum 60% Disability Rating first.

Would a claim for P & T be done before or after getting the awaited rating?

Thanks for advice.

I am not sure how they will rate you.A more experienced member on here will help you.But i have a friend who is a vietnam vet,who filed a claim for PTSD and MST after many years,like you are doing and he was awarded 100% P&T PTSD.Good luck with your claim bud,happy to hear you finally seeked helped after 40 years.You will get all the help you need on Hadit,great site with great knowlegable people,hope your well.

oiler1995,

Thanks for reply.

Your response and that of others give me hope. However, I know each case is different.

After so many years, any award if any would be welcome. My last real job was in 2002. Since 2002 on SSDI until I turned 65, then "regular retirement benefits".

I believe part of my "keeping a job" problem relates to the MST and authority, etc.

btw, I finished college after Nam, had some good jobs... but many things stayed with me.

I beginning to see how HELPFUL the people, as yourself are very helpful and SUPPORTIVE !

Edited by fatheryabueloDE9 (see edit history)

fatheryabueloDE9

To qualify for TDIU the VA looks at differently than SS, if your service connection disability's keep you from working and finding Gainful employment, when you apply for TDIU,there suppose to have the duty to assist and rate you at 100% P&T.

Your Medical records should prove this and all your SMR's& C&P Exam , However you can also get a IMO' and add to your C&P if the C&P Dr fails to address all of your contentions & have a private Dr can state in his report/impression that you can't work due to your disability's

It use to be that a veteran had to have a 60%rating but not anymore! if you have no rating at all you can get bump all the way to 100% even if they rate you at 90% they give you 100% rate for the TDIU its a combined rating at 90% but being paid at the 100% rate.

but you need to ask for TDIU first thing!

you can get TDIU P &T AND SSDI at the same time, which makes for a modest income!

Good Luck Buddy!

................................Buck!

pr

Hi PR,

I thought I replied to your suggestion in late March. No, I was wrong!

As I stated late in March, I am new to any Veteran assist forum.

There are a few TDIU process questions which I am not sure about.

Last year, the VSO who helped me understand how to file my Claim stated 1st one needs a rating

of 60 % before one can consider IU filing. Is he wrong?

I am almost 68.

When I was 55 in 2002, Soc. Sec. awarded me 100% SSDI.

In 2007 or 2008 SS reviewed me, declaring me still 100% disabled.

Except for a very brief SS Trial periodperiod in 2006, I have not worked since 2002.

My original W Comp and SSDI claim were for Carpal tunnel.

My California Comp lawyer said he was surprised I was judged 100% by Soc. Sec for carpal tunnel.

He believes it had to do more with my mental issues.

For several years, off and on in the late 1990s thru 2002 plus, I was getting VA and private MD RX's

for depression, and seeing psychiatrists etc.

Twice, I asked Sec. Sec for detail medical records for the adjudication; twice nothing received.

For years, I had issues with work "bosses", lost some good jobs. I strongly believe it had to do with my military "authority issues" from Vietnam. The C & P Psychologist even stated that in my C & P report.

At 68, Can I still apply for TDIU? Before my PTSD rating comes in?

Google 38 CFR 4.16 and you will find the info you need regarding TDIU.

Good luck.

GP

38 CFR part 4 provides a great deal of information regarding how specific disabilities are rated by the VA. A lot of questions can be answered in part 4.

Good luck and good health from one Vietnam vet to another.

GP

Google 38 CFR 4.16 and you will find the info you need regarding TDIU.

Good luck.

GP

GP

Thanks,

I looked at it and understand a little better.

What puzzles me is that my SC claim is still in pending approval status.

Thus I do not yet know the Rating(s.)

Part of the VA's C & P does Psyc does mention in the report my trouble of keeping jobs. But that

was primarily in 2002 and before, In 2002, I was 55. Now I am almost 68.

Soc. Sec. did put me on 100 % SSDI in 2002. I never really looked for work after that.

Again in 2007/08 SS said I could not do "substantial work .

Most likely, I think needing to wait for Ratings.

Periodically go on your Ebenefits account and click on "VA Letters" and then click "Benefits Summary Letter." When your rating changes it is usually updated on your "Benefits Summary Letter" before you receive your official notification from the VA.

Take care.

GP

Periodically go on your Ebenefits account and click on "VA Letters" and then click "Benefits Summary Letter." When your rating changes it is usually updated on your "Benefits Summary Letter" before you receive your official notification from the VA.

Take care.

GP

Thanks for tip GP,

Took a few minutes then realized it was under "Manage", then Documents and Records.

Nothing yet in Benefits Summary Letter.

Good luck bud, and I know how you feel my current FDC is in the Prep for Decision phase for the second time, and this time it has been at this stage for almost 2 months. God Bless!!!