VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice Needed For Cad Iu

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

I was called by the VA to schedule two C&Ps...the first one is for my PTSD claim (not worried about that one) and the second one is for my IU claim for CAD. I was awarded 60% (a single stint implanted following a heart attack) for the CAD. The problem is my METS was estimated by the doctor who did the C&P and she she estimated 3-5 and that gave me 60%. No tests of any kind were performed.

I retired from my job because some of the locations I had to work at had minimal or no medical facilities available in case I had another heart attack. Soon after retiring I applied for SSDI (still in the decision phase) and soon after, IU. I'm 65 and planned to work til 70. I held that job for over 25 years.

So, I'm concerned because if they run me through some tests my METS could possibly be measured over 5 which would lower my percentage and not get IU. I can't see getting IU for PTSD as I was able to function at work for over 46 years (I was a combat medic in VN in 1969).

What would you all do? Stop the IU claim and be satisfied with the 60% and whatever I get for PTSD? Take a chance and go for it? Would they estimate the METS again (no testing)? A lot of stress because its a huge decision.

mcarter985,

Do you have copies of any of your medical records related to your heart attack and follow up tests after your heart attack? The reason I ask is other factors are considered when rating you for CAD/IHD. You could have a METs measurement over 5 and still receive a 60% rating if your records show you have left ventricular dysfunction with ejection fraction of 30% to 50%, or if your records show you experience syncope (passing out). If you have had regular follow up appointments and tests with your cardiologist since your heart attack, you may have records showing your METs measurement, ejection fraction and whether you experienced syncope.

Refer to 38 CFR part 4.104 (Schedule of Ratings - Cardiovascular System) Diagnostic 7005 for specific info.

Good luck to you.

GP

My EF is 55% so no joy there and no passing out. The two things that bug me are shortness of breath and fatigue. I'm thinking of getting a METS test prior to the C&P and if it doesn't measure 3-5 I will probably stop the claim.

Sounds like a good idea. If it does measure between 3-5 you should be ok as long as the test results are signed by a cardiologist.

Good luck

GP

Same to you.

Late in the game but a Denial Letter from a VA Vocational Rehabilitation Councilor would serve you well, if in fact you are IU. That could be a stretch though. The VA raters look at if you are capable of earning in excess of the US Poverty Level income for (1) person, at your age that's $11,400 per year doing ANYTHING. You may not be able to do your old job but that $11,4 is a low threshold, about $219.00 a week. That's where the PTSD and an opinion from a Certified Trained Vocational Rehab Counilur comes into play. If you can't qualify or complete a VA Voc Rehab program due to your CAD & PTSD your considered temporary IU. The VA thinks PTSD is treatable and future improvement is possible so a T & P rating may be a bridge to far but Straight IU based on your current conditions is possible.

I've had a 30% CAD w/60% EF and 70% PTSD for years but it was the Gainful Income from self employment that got a IU Denial in 12, awarded at DRO Hearing 6/14 with a T & P rating. Soooooooo your EF, is what it is. Get a Professional Employment Councilors opinion in regards to your inability to EARN Substantially Gainful Income due to your VA SC conditions.

Semper Fi

Gastone