VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Permanent And Total, Letter From Va Question

Rate this question

bh1981

Question

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this. However, I recently received TDIU with SMC. I assumed it was temporary, and I was okay with it. However, I received a letter int he mail today (the one the VA sends out after the ratings come back that outlines the various benefits and entitlements). On the back with the words VA Benefit Details a couple things are stated and based on what is stated, am I to now assume I am permanent and totally disabled? As always, your help is always valuable and appreciated.

SERVICE-CONNECTED DISABILITY: A condition incurred during or aggravated by military service, for which the Veteran is receiving VA benefits.

COMBINED SERVICE-CONNECTED EVALUATION: The Veteran’s disability rating for all conditions determined to be service-connected.

CURRENT MONTHLY AWARD AMOUNT: The monthly monetary benefit paid to the Veteran or survivor receiving benefits under a VA program.

NON-SERVICE-CONNECTED PENSION: Benefit for a non-service connected Veteran who meets specific criteria, which include disability or age, wartime service, minimum length of service, and income restrictions. If a Veteran is eligible for service-connected benefits and pension benefits, VA will pay the higher benefit.

INDIVIDUAL UNEMPLOYABILITY (IU): The Veteran is receiving payment at the 100 percent rate, even though the combined service-connected evaluation is not 100 percent. The Veteran’s service- connected conditions cause him/her to be unable to obtain or maintain substantially gainful employment because of the Veteran’s service-connected conditions. The Veteran must periodically certify continued unemployability, but if there is no scheduled future reduction or medical examination required, he/she may be considered by some states to be permanently and totally disabled.

PERMANENT AND TOT AL (P&T) DISABILITY : The V eteran is considered by V A to be permanently and totally disabled because of his/her service-connected conditions.

SPECIAL MONTHLY COMPENSATION: The Veteran is receiving additional compensation for one or more of the following: a service-connected loss of or loss of use of one or more specific organs or extremities; a combination of severe disabilities; is 100 percent disabled and housebound, bedridden, or in the need of the aid and attendance of another person.

SPECIALLY ADAPTED HOUSING and/or SPECIAL HOME ADAPTATION GRANT: Grants provided by VA to service-connected veterans and service members to help build a new specially adapted house, to adapt a home they already own, or buy a house and modify it to meet their disability- related requirements.

Edited by bh1981

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

bh1981,

I think the VA letter just contains the definitions of different terminology used by the VA. If you were rated P&T, you would have received an info package on Champva health benefits and Chapter 35 educational benefits for your eligible family members. JMO

Good luck to you.

GP

bh1981,

I think the VA letter just contains the definitions of different terminology used by the VA. If you were rated P&T, you would have received an info package on Champva health benefits and Chapter 35 educational benefits for your eligible family members. JMO

Good luck to you.

GP

That's what I thought as well, GP. However, the only reason why I question it is that the back of the letter is worded in such a way that made me think that I was, in fact, permanent and total. All of the benefits I receive from the VA are worded like "The Veteran is receiving". I guess I gotta make a phone call. Thanks man.

I can see where the letter would be confusing. I received the same letter with the exact same wording as above and I AM Tdiu with SMC. So there is hope! Good Luck!

Georgia is right bud, that is just a letter of basic info, so that Vets know what the different terms stand for. I too am hoping to be permanent soon.

Thanks for all of your help. I called the VA and they said they couldn't even find that letter, that was sent to me, in their system. As it stands, I'm going to assume that I am temporary, which is still okay for me. They need to make that letter a little less perplexing. Perhaps just put "glossary of terms" on the top of the page as opposed to "VA benefit details"! Have a good one!