VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Am 100% Ptsd Disabled, Can I Still Work. It Does Not Say Iu 100%

Rate this question

chiefjr

Question

I am 100% disabled and working. I was given the rating of 100% during my comp hearing, while working at the VA. Is there any problem with this. I spoke with the American Legion and it does not say Individual Unemployable.

Ok, herein lies the problem with working at 100% PTSD:

If you look at the criteria for 100%, you will see that it says the Veteran has problems in ALL areas: Social, Work, family, relationships, etc.

Also, if you look carefully at the regulations for reductions, you will see that the VA can reduce you if you show actual improvement "under ordinary conditions of life", which, has been defined as "working." In other words, if you are able to get by with your disability but you are not working, then some improvement would not justify a reduction, especially if your "improvement" came from not working. For example, say you have degenerative arthritis, and staying off your knees keeps you from having a flare up, and keeps the pain level low. But, if you went to work, the stress to the knees of constantly standing or walking would "flare up" your knees and create an intolerable pain level. So, your reduction in pain level is not "under ordinary conditions of life".

I agree with the others that 100% P and T for mental health conditions normally precludes working.

From the employer's stanpoint:

Would you really want a 100% PTSD Vet working for you that had suicidal/homicideal ideations, that was in the military and trained in weapons?

If you disclosed to your employer that you were 100% PTSD, then, its true he may have some kind of job you could do where you were not around people (so as not to be a threat), AND, he agreed to give you time off whenever you needed it for therapy. Those jobs are very rare, and, its not fair (IMHO) to your employer to not disclose that you are 100% PTSD.

I do think the VA allows this in some circumstances, such as a family type business where your family provides a job for you, knowing well your limitations.

A famous example I can think of is Sy Robertson, on Duck Dynasty. Nobody would doubt this guy is crazy. But, they keep him on, because, he can make duck calls, and, because his brother founded the company and he is not leaving his own blood out in the cold. He is very entertaining, but produces not very much work. More than one person has said the bizarre Sy Robertson is the guy who makes this show. Without Sy's crazyness, this show would be so boring no one would watch more than a couple episodes. I would speculate that, if, indeed Sy was 100 percent PTSD crazy, the VA would say that his family business warrants an exception, because the other Robertsons go above and beyond what an "average person" would do in putting up with Sy's craziness, and he would be truly unemployable outside the limited family business. Sy is paid by the family, pretty much, not for the work he does, but as a donation to him for how he helped the family business get started in the past. Sure Willie yells at him to get to work, but Sy pretty much ignores Willie and goes his own way. Still, his craziness is why the show is making big bucks, and I would quit watching if Sy left.

I agree with everyone above, unless you are making 100k a year, I don't think that it is worth risking your future benefits. Too many Vets on here and that I know have been reduced or lost their Rating all together. If you feel that you can get out and work, do it under the table or work for family and friends. Too many homeless and starving Vets trying to get a Rating for SC. Good luck and God Bless!!!

chiefjr,

If your employer deducts income taxes and/or social security from your pay, the VA can find out you are working. If you buy anything on credit, information on your employment will be listed with the credit bureaus and the VA can easily retrieve this information. If any of your coworkers, friends or others know or find out you are receiving VA disability compensationn and working, they may report you to the VA.

You are taking a big risk by working and collecting 100% disability for PTSD. JMO

GP