VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Am 100% Ptsd Disabled, Can I Still Work. It Does Not Say Iu 100%

Rate this question

chiefjr

Question

I am 100% disabled and working. I was given the rating of 100% during my comp hearing, while working at the VA. Is there any problem with this. I spoke with the American Legion and it does not say Individual Unemployable.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bob Dole was 90 per cent and worked John McCain has a high rating. You would be surprised how many Service Officers have high ratings but the facts are if your rating is for physical and schedular you can work if your are up to it, If it is mental the VA will find away to cut your rating for most.Most here who draw at 100% would much rather be working.

Hood Luck but you really have to decide. Chanxes are many could work for a short time but could not hanh in for a long time.

If your not 100% SC P & T with no future Exams scheduled, the VA Eyeball is on you. Re exam is somewhere on your horizon but until then Earn On if you are able. Now if it turns out your actually rated as IU, the Gainful Employment Income comes into play. Hold a job with SGI $12,4+ for 12 months and you could be up for a reduction. IU Vets either have to report yearly income and/or their Tax Returns are monitored for Earning that would trigger a reduction. Until whenever, do what your comfortable with.

Semper Fi

Gastone

I have a question, please excuse my ignorance as I am not fully versed on the 100% rating for PTSD. I understand what P&T and TDIU is and all that. My question is I am  currently 50% for PTSD. I am rated at 80% for all disabilities. 

I have had in the past year an increase in suicidal and homicidal ideation I was baker acted but then released once I got to the local hospital not the VA hospital. 

All of my Dr's and my C&P examiner suggest that I enter inpatient treatment. I am currently employed. If I get an increase to 100% for PTSD what Will I have to do. 

If I can't work I will make less than what the 100% pays at. I have extreme difficulties making it through my day at work and at home but I still have a family to support along with a special needs child and my wife is a full time student and is not working to take care of my son. I do not have any college degree I joined at 19 years o

d. I know I can file for SSDI etc but that will take who knows how long. 

If possible can someone provide some insight please. Your help would be appreciated, Thank you

Edited by Silent Uproar

On 3/30/2015 at 11:55 PM, chiefjr said:

I am 100% disabled and working. I was given the rating of 100% during my comp hearing, while working at the VA. Is there any problem with this. I spoke with the American Legion and it does not say Individual Unemployable.

If you have a mental rating of 100% for PTSD, all clinical findings say you can't do it--mentally it's just too much for you.  Matter of a fact, for you to be rated this highly, you were deemed unable to hold or maintain employment. 

Here is a break down of the VA disability rating percentages and what they mean:

What Each Rating Means

100% rating: Completely unable to function socially or at work with symptoms such as severely inappropriate behavior, ongoing hallucinations or delusions, consistent threat of harming self or others, unable to remember basic information such as names of close relatives, severe confusion and disorientation, and/or inability to care for self.

70% rating: Unable to function in most social and work areas with symptoms such as obsessive behaviors, illogical speech, depression and panic so persistent that it interferes with ability to function, suicidal thinking, inability to control impulses (including becoming violent without provocation), neglecting self-care such as hygiene, inability to handle stress, and/or inability to maintain relationships.

50% rating: Some impairment in ability to function socially and at work with lack of reliability and productivity, due to symptoms such as trouble understanding, memory loss (forgetting to do things), poor judgment, mood disturbances, trouble with work and social relationships, and/or having one or more panic attacks weekly.

30% rating: Some trouble functioning socially and at work, occasionally inefficient with work or unable to perform work tasks, but generally able to care of self and speak normally. Symptoms can include depression, anxiety, chronic difficulty sleeping, mild memory loss, suspiciousness, and panic attacks (can be less than once a week).

10% rating: Mild symptoms creating work and social impairment when under significant stress, or mild symptoms managed successfully with continuous medication.

0% rating: Diagnosis of mental illness but symptoms are so mild that they don’t require continuous medication, or, don’t interfere with social and work functioning.

What will happen if I'm working during/after receiving a 100% mental health rating?  Chances are you will be scheduled for a comp and pension exam to reevaluate your mental health rating.  It may also happen that you receive a letter from the VARO suggesting they are intending to decrease your rating. 

It may be viewed as grounds to cause VARO to launch an investigation into your disabilities on suspicion of fraud. 

I'm not saying these things are going to happen.  Just that it's a highly likelihood 1 or more can and will happen within the next 18 to 36 months for certain.  

You did inform the examiner on your C & P exam that you are working at the VA?  Right??

Regards,

Whoop

• HadIt.com Elder

If your rated 100%scheduler  yes you can work.

If your rated 100% for MH  Say PTSD here is the 100%PTSD Criteria 

Total occupational and social impairment, due to 100 
such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought 
processes or communication; persistent delusions 
or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; 
persistent danger of hurting self or others; 
intermittent inability to perform activities of 
daily living (including maintenance of minimal 
personal hygiene); disorientation to time or 
place; memory loss for names of close relatives, 
own occupation, or own name......................

You can try to work but what employer would want you around  with being diagnose for 100% mental Health condition?

Also when the VA finds out about you working  this usually will prompt a C&P Exam  to reduce your benefits  and if your working with a 100% PTSD Rating  they will likely take that benefit down to 0% and if that's your only rating  then you will get nothing. * (jmo)

TDIU is the only rating condition that were not suppose to work. 

However this is debatable,  but in my opinion if your IU  you need to be carefull about working if you report your income and pay income tax.